New keezer!

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Andysam

New keezer!

Post by Andysam »

Got it together... almost. All I need now is to hook up the hoses.
I did want to ask a question though.
The keezer is in my closet, the only place that it could go. So, I had to build a side tap area like shown in
keezer3.JPG
keezer3.JPG (34.15 KiB) Viewed 2962 times
the pics. It fits very snuggly in the closet. So, the 3-4 inches of line that are right before the taps are not going to be chilled. Will this create a problem for me? Excissive foaming? I was thinking that it would be like a tower anyways, not too cold. I dont really care if the first beer of the night will have a little too much foam as that is what i am expecting. However, will EVERY beer have too much foam you think?
Keezer1.JPG
Keezer1.JPG (31.03 KiB) Viewed 2962 times
keezer2.JPG
keezer2.JPG (33.25 KiB) Viewed 2962 times
BrewDale77

Re: New keezer!

Post by BrewDale77 »

There is product line insulation that can help it stay cold but for just a few inches I would say that this is fine.
Purse Perfection in a Pint
oc eric

Post by oc eric »

The search for beer is the mother of all inventions...or something like that. Looks good!
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Nice work Andy!

Those few inches should not cause you any trouble...
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
jward

Post by jward »

Nice job. Very interesting that you hinged the whole wood skirt. On mine the original lid is still the only part that lifts.

If you do get too much foam you could always enclose/insulate the box holding the hoses and let some cold in.
Andysam

Post by Andysam »

Thanks guys!
I decided to hinge the whole collar so I would not have to lift the kegs or carboys up another 5 inches. I was lucky that the hinges on this freezer are really strong.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Looks good Andy. You might want to think about fashioning some type of drip tray so the wife does not kill you for dripping beer on the carpet.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
Andysam

Post by Andysam »

BrewMasterBrad wrote:Looks good Andy. You might want to think about fashioning some type of drip tray so the wife does not kill you for dripping beer on the carpet.
LOL, you are dead right Brad. It is not even hooked up yet and she asked about it dripping. I was thinking big deal, let it drip, its in the closet. LOL
Haemon

Post by Haemon »

Looks good! I have a similar freezer, what kind of resources and time did it take to construct this?

P.S:
lexuschris wrote:Those few inches should not cause you any trouble...
--LexusChris
That's what he said.
Andysam

Post by Andysam »

I used 1x6 by 10' pine from home depot. It cost like $7. Then some corner braces and liquid nails. Put a little weather striping on it. That was it.

$25 total for the collar.
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Haemon wrote:That's what he said.
..touche'
;)
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
jimmyjames

Post by jimmyjames »

Very cool. :cheers:

I'm planning on building a collar for mine too, but just can't figure out the details. I like the idea of attaching the collar to the lid (rather than to the base). But how did you secure the collar to the lid? Liquid nails only? Did you remove the old weather striping that was on the freezer lid already? Thanks for any advice.
Haemon

Post by Haemon »

I noticed the collar has no inner lining-- aren't you worried that it will decrease engine efficiency?
Andysam

Post by Andysam »

Haemon wrote:I noticed the collar has no inner lining-- aren't you worried that it will decrease engine efficiency?
I am not really that worried about it. The kegs are not in that area much (only like 2 inches) and I have talked to many people that have it like this that have not had any problems.

All I used was liquid nails to secure the lid to the collar. I did remove the original gasket though. The liquid nails should be more than enough to hold that lid on. I do not put any stress on the lid and lift from the collar itself.