New to the Forum's and have a question about a keg system

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

BrewingScott

New to the Forum's and have a question about a keg system

Post by BrewingScott »

Hi i am new to these forums, and have been looking through the forum quite a bit today. Seem to be a really good community here. I have completed 8 batches of beer, since is started brewing last February. I am getting a little tired of bottling beers, and have been really interested in kegging a few batches.

I found a system on craiglist that seems like a good deal. What do you guys think??

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/app/1495748506.html

Let me know you thoughts, I am going to look at it tonight
maltbarley

Re: New to the Forum's and have a question about a keg system

Post by maltbarley »

Seems like a bit much to me, but if it works perfectly for you, it could be worth it.

Welcome to the forum, Scott.
BrewingScott

Post by BrewingScott »

Sorry for these questions, but i am a little new to the whole kegging aspect of brewing.

when you say a bit much, do you mean in price or just the size of the thing?

If i do decided to get it...it should work for kegging cornie kegs?

Thank you for the help.
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

I think he means the price. It could be built for cheaper, but then 20 pound tanks aren't cheap. One other thing to consider is that it is setup for commercial sankes. You'll need to put new ends on the hoses for homebrew corny kegs. That's not a big deal either, but just an additional expense.

See if you can get it for $250, but don't be surprised if the guy gets upset thinking you're low-balling him. Based on the setup I have to assume he's not a home brewer and he probably paid top dollar for the conversion.

just my .02
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

I took a quick peek at Craig's List to wee what else was out there price wise, and found this.

Countertop Kegerator $350
The image posted is the generic catalog photo, so I would want to know if that was in fact the exact model, and how old it is.

There was another one like that for $350, and real photos and a description of work needed on it.

And a brand new unit for $625

Personally, I like the smaller fridge for energy reasons, and saving precious wall space. But, if you could use the extra refrigerator & freezer space, your 1st looked to pretty reasonable in comparrison.

Welcome to the boards!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Welcome to the boards. I think it might be a bit much as well price wise. If you're a little patient you can get a much better deal. Here is an example down in SD

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/app/1528411331.html

Kegerator $200 - $200 (Tierrasanta)
I am selling my kegerator because we are moving and will not have room for it. Right now it has some beer left in it that is still good. It's Gordon Beirch Auburn. It will come with the keg, a huge CO2 canister that full will last for 16 of the half kegs. I have beer mugs and some other stuff that I will let you take with it all for $200. Email or call me at 858 380 8788. My name is Derrick, thanks.
Jon Image
BrewingScott

Post by BrewingScott »

Thank you for all your opinions. I went and looked at it last night and decided not to get it. It wasn't exactly what i wanted, and didn't seem to get that cold. So for the price it did not seem worth it; the lowest he said he would go would be $300. I think i am going to wait around and see what else pops up on craigs list, to see if i can get a better deal. Or i may be upgrading my current fridge in the near future, which in that case will i convert my old one to a kegerator. I am wanting to get a larger one, since i do have the space for it and also want the extra freezer storage for mugs liquor.

again thank you all for your help.
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

I think you made the smart choice. I like the idea of upgrading your current fridge unless you suspect it of giving out soon. Alternatively have you looked at the chest freezer conversions?
Jon Image
BrewingScott

Post by BrewingScott »

JonGoku wrote:I think you made the smart choice. I like the idea of upgrading your current fridge unless you suspect it of giving out soon. Alternatively have you looked at the chest freezer conversions?
thank you. No the fridge is in perfect condition and much nicer then the ones i have seen on craiglist. The wife is just wanting a new one....so i made a deal. :D Plus the more I think about it the more i am wanting to build it myself, so i can piece it together the way i want.
I have seen the freezer conversions, but not too sure how they work. Wouldn't it get to cold to store beer in there?
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Nice! Keeping the wife happy is key to any successful homebrew adventure.

In regards to the chest freezer or any freezer actually, you would use a temperature controller. Check out this thread.
Jon Image
BrewingScott

Post by BrewingScott »

This is true! :cheers:

In regards to the freezer, that makes sense you would need a temp. controller to adjust to the desired temp. Thank you for sharing that with me.
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

I gotta say.. I went the DIY way, and enjoyed the project immensely! :)

I went with a used Sanyo compact fridge from CL, and then added a dual tap tower from Keggle Brewing on ebay.

Here check out his single tap conversion kit + recon'd corny for your fridge...
Image $195 for this single faucet kit!

And, his reconditioned kegs are in *GREAT* shape... pretty too!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
BrewingScott

Post by BrewingScott »

thanks Chris for the link to that conversion kit, it was help full. Also when is the first brew competition?
BrewingScott

Post by BrewingScott »

OK, sounds good. I am looking forward to seeing that post.

Also, how do i become a part of this club??? i know it says a $20 annual fee, but not sure what else is required.

Thank you!
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

$20 plus a round or three of your homebrews for existing club members!

:cheers:

Just kidding ... just the $20 ... there should be a Join The Club link at the far right hand side ... down at the bottom is the Buy Now link where you pony up. Hope to see you as a club member soon.

Dan