Temperature control

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

lexuschris

Re: Temperature control

Post by lexuschris »

Very nice Mike! I like! I like! :D

So, the pump is just circulating the cold/ice water through the submersed chiller .. thus chilling the entire water space. Nice... How big of a ice chest are you using for the ice water & pump?

:cheers:
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
FBMike

Temperature control

Post by FBMike »

I wanted to share my new temperature controller. My second batch is staying nice a comfy out in my hot garage (80 -97*) without needing a refrigerator. My daily routine is to place a fresh 1 gallon frozen water jug into the ice bath cooler before leaving for work and another one as soon as I get home. I have gone up to 17 hours (during the day) and not had all the ice melted. I plan on using a small dorm fridge to replace the need for ice jugs to make the system maintenance free.

Prior to kegging the first batch I crash cooled the wort down to 40*. Now I am ready to try my hand at lagers.

Mike

MATERIALS
10 Gallon Rubbermaid Cooler (will be able to use for AG) $40.00 Home Depot
3/8” OD copper heat exchanger coil W/ plastic tubing Estimated @ $ 40.00 00
190 GPH submersible fountain pump 120 VAC $ 15.00 Harbor Freight
Ranco ETC temperature controller $ 59.00 including cord
2” thick Polyethylene Plank Foam cut to size Scrap
Stir plates.com polished thermowell $ 15.00 stirplates.com
2 hole stopper. Don’t try to drill it yourself major PITA $ 6.00 More beer
Ice Chest (not shown for ice water bath). Had already

SET UP
Sanitize 6 gallon carboy, slide copper coil around the carboy. Insert carboy/copper assembly into the 10 gallon cooler. Fill the carboy with cooled wort. (Handles on the cooler make transport easier) Fill the space between the cooler wall and carboy with chilled water. The pump will go in a separate ice chest with ample water and ice for chilling. Insert the Ranco temperature probe into the thermowell . Program the Ranco ETC for the desired temperature. (NOTE during my test the Ranco shut off at the preset, however carboy continued to cool down 1-2 degrees) Plug the submersible pump into the controller. During the first day the ice bath will need to be closely monitored.

TEST RESULTS
5.25 gallons 80* water in the carboy. Garage temperature 80-97*. Ranco ETC set for 77* with a 3* differential. Ice chest filled with water and ice cubes. (Since changed to 1 gallon frozen water jug) Setpoint hit within 15 minutes. Noticed the carboy continued to cool down after the pump had shut off (settled in at 76*) Set the Ranco ETC for 65*. Setpoint hit within 1 hour. Carboy continued to cool down (settled at 63*) Cooler maintained temperature to less than 65* during a 12 hour test at 97* ambient. Ice bath maintained 40* for over 12 hours with 1 frozen water jug.
Attachments
See the equipment list.
See the equipment list.
image003.jpg (19.12 KiB) Viewed 1434 times
Note how the carboy top sticks up just past the foam for an air lock or blow off.
Note how the carboy top sticks up just past the foam for an air lock or blow off.
image002.jpg (3.29 KiB) Viewed 1434 times
Carboy with copper cooling coil (AKA retired Imersion chiller) sitting in the cooler
Carboy with copper cooling coil (AKA retired Imersion chiller) sitting in the cooler
image001.jpg (5.61 KiB) Viewed 1434 times
The difference between a hobby and an obsession is the amount of time you devote to it.
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Nice work, Mike!

One of the things I like to do before I start a project is figure out what it's going to cost me. I have bought used mini-fridges as low as $60 on craigslist. So for others looking to build something similar, consider the costs, first. Of course, the play time putting it all together may be worth it. :happybeer:
FBMike

Post by FBMike »

Small 38 Qt Igloo picnic ice chest. Big enough to hold the ice jug and 2 gallons of water. Like I said in my original post, the next step is to place the water bath in a small dorm fridge so I won't need to exchange ice jugs.

Mike
The difference between a hobby and an obsession is the amount of time you devote to it.
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Why not just place the carboy in a small fridge?
FBMike

Post by FBMike »

The garage already contains (1) stand up freezer (for food), (1) converted freezer for keg conditioning, :lol: (1) kegerator, brew hardware, :happybeer: and a car. I am out room and would probably out period if I tried sneeking in another fridge/freezer!!! :roll: SC Edison loves me enough with my current set-up. Besides I am waiting on Derrin (stirplates.com) to get my keg fermentor conversion finished so I can start more 10 gallon+ batches. K:-) K:-)

Mike
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

FBMike wrote:The garage already contains (1) stand up freezer (for food), (1) converted freezer for keg conditioning, :lol: (1) kegerator, brew hardware, :happybeer: and a car. I am out room and would probably out period if I tried sneeking in another fridge/freezer!!! :roll: SC Edison loves me enough with my current set-up. Besides I am waiting on Derrin (stirplates.com) to get my keg fermentor conversion finished so I can start more 10 gallon+ batches. K:-) K:-)

Mike
Sounds like my Edison bill. I'm surprised mine doesn't say "Tier 5 Preferred Customer"

Your fermenter is all but done. Just needs final cleaning and the racking cane. S/B Wednesday