MLT

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

JonGoku

MLT

Post by JonGoku »

I'm looking at different coolers to use as a MLT and among other things I am wondering how concerned I should be about the cooler being too big and not having a thick enough grain bed etc.

One of the coolers I have been considering is the Coleman 70-Quart Xtreme Cooler ($38.88)
Would this cooler still be ok for a 5 gallon batch of a small beer? Is there a MIN grain requirement?

Image <--- DIY how to guide

Alternatively there is also the 10 gallon round water cooler type at Home Depot for a similar deal. ($37.96)

The main reason I am debating different types of coolers is the capability for other uses.

I don't plan on doing any 10 gallon batches of barelywine so the max grain volume is not an issue, but it might be nice to be able to put 2 carboys in one for fermenting or for parties and other normal cooler uses.
Jon Image
brahn
Site Admin

Re: MLT

Post by brahn »

I use a 70qt cooler for 10G batches now. I did one 5G batch in this cooler, but it was a RIS at about 1.110. There'd be a ton of empty space in there if you were making 5G of a Mild, but I don't really know if it would cause a problem. I think I'd probably go with a smaller one if I were you. I used a 48qt rectangular cooler for quite a few 5G batches before the upgrade, it worked great. It would get pretty darn full on a RIS or Barleywine, but it worked if you were careful and mashed thick.
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Additionally I'm looking at this concept for controlled fermentation and would multiuse the cooler to fullfill both the fermenter container and MLT functions. Before anyone chimes in about the comparative ease of a fridge or freezer I have my reasons, or suffice it to say SWMBO has hers, and an additional fridge or freezer is not part of it. I'm thinking a cooler set up would fly below the radar though. :lol:
Water Fermentation Chiller 1

Water Fermentation Chiller 2
Jon Image
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

Like Brent, I also use a 48qt cooler and it's worked just fine for me and my 5g batches. I've done 2 barleywines around 1.100 and it was a pretty tight fit but like Brent said, if you mash thick, you'll be ok.

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

Look under "Can I Mash It" to help you determine if your tun will hold up.

If you want to double it up to act as a fermenter, then just go with the bigger one if you're tight on space. I'm not sure how hard it will be will to maintain mash temps with low gravity beers in such a big tun but if that's not super important to you then no problems...
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

Big Lots has 48 quart Ice Cubes for $25.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

You know, if you want to buy the 70 qt for bigger beers, let me know and Dustin and I will give you our old 5 gallon one for smaller beers. You'll have to build your own manifold (we've repurposed ours to become a sparge ring - we can show you what it looks like) or buy a false bottom, but it's free and it gives you a second option.

We have a 15-gallon keg and 10-gallon cooler that can be used for mashing, so I don't think we'll have any use for the 5 gallon anymore, and it's taking up space in his garage...

For 5 gallon batches, a 5-gallon cooler can get you up to about 1.075 if you mash thick.
Brad
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

That's a really nice offer, thank you. I think I will take you up on it, and I'm really curious how you repurposed the manifold into a sparge arm. I'm in no real hurry though as I still have a B3 Stout extract kit to finish before my maiden AG voyage, and because my time is no longer "my" time anymore, my brew days are fairly spread out. That will of course change this summer when SWMBO and my new assistant brewer head over to Japan I will have a month or so of bachelorhood to do with as I see fit.

:cheers:
Jon Image
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

JonGoku wrote:I'm really curious how you repurposed the manifold into a sparge arm.
Well, by "manifold" I mean "piece of copper tubing bent into a ring and holes drilled in with a dremel". So it was basically a sparge ring (not arm) to begin with...

I've attached a picture of it (in sparge ring form, not manifold form). Basically the only difference is the open end gets a stopper pushed over it and that gets jammed into the inside of the plastic valve on the cooler to become a manifold.
Attachments
DSCF5566 (Custom) (Small).jpg
DSCF5566 (Custom) (Small).jpg (53.64 KiB) Viewed 1665 times
Brad
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Hahaha, I love the tongs that hold it in place. I bet that works pretty nicely.
Jon Image
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

JonGoku wrote:Hahaha, I love the tongs that hold it in place. I bet that works pretty nicely.
Yeah, we're slowly trying to work our way out of the ghetto... Been focusing on "functional" rather than "pretty" so far, but we're just about done with all the functional pieces we need, so it's time to work on convenience.
Brad