Other than a March pump?

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

backyard brewer

Other than a March pump?

Post by backyard brewer »

Is anyone using a pump other than a March pump? I know JR was using the little 12VDC Shureco RV pump. Anyone out there find a good brewing pump?
jward

Post by jward »

I have one of the Shureco pumps. I have not put it into service. I think it would make a great pump for sparge water and moving chilled wort. I think one could use it in a recirculating IC chiller setup if you waited a few minutes to get rid of the highest heat before starting to recirculate. I'm skeptical about it long term use with actual boiling temps. Did you see JR's in action? You can borrow my pump if you'd like.

What I want to try is using it to start a siphon since it's self priming.
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

Shurflo guys. JR worked his pump as hard as any pump had a right to be worked. Hot to cold. Ran it off a battery charger...

Cheers!
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

ROFLOL!!!! Shureco is a roof rack and side step manufacturer! I just turned into my mom, she screws up names all the time.

Shureco.... I meant Shurflo

Anyway, I have been looking up various motor control circuits and I was thinking it would be pretty cool to use a motor controller (since it's 12VDC) instead of a ball valve to control the flow.
Oskaar

Post by Oskaar »

When you use the Shurflo just be sure that you're using some kind of filter to keep even moderate sized chunks out of the mix. We had several line and pump clogs in each of the brew sessions I did with him. at the end of 2006 and in early 2007.

Cheers,

Oskaar
Don't go into the Pimped-Out-Refrigerator Jack!
lars

Post by lars »

I just picked up two small march pumps dirt cheep. Before I post more about them I want to make sure they'll handle a brew day. Beyond march pumps I also have an Iwaki pump that works great.
Shut up and brew