Hub City - Old Browne Porter

Just tasted something great or not so great? Have a favorite restaurant, cigar or pub you'd like to talk about? Review it here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

dhempy

Hub City - Old Browne Porter

Post by dhempy »

So I find myself here in Iowa tasting beers. the local Hyvee (supermarket) has a deal whereby one can fill a 6 pack with singles for a fixed price. So I grabbed 6 ... nice.

Hub City Old Browne Porter - Brewed in Stanley IA.

I poured this beer into a glass and was immediately struck by the lack of any head. After 15 seconds only a small ring around the edge of the glass was evident. I got only a slight malt aroma from the beer (that could just be my poor olfactory condition however). As expected for a porter, it is nearly opaque when held up to light and there area dark amber / ruby hints on the fringes.

Initial tastes are a relatively well balanced malt / hop profile which immediately turns to a roasty / sweet carmel / coffee flavor on the palate. After the sweet experience, the hop bitterness kicks in and lingers for a while. Overall, the beer has a what I'd call a medium body but the relative lack of CO2 leaves me wanting a bit more carbonic bite and some"mouth fizz" to help bring the bitterness forward a bit more.

Note .. on the second pour .. after the beer has warmed ... a "dump" into the glass yielded a small head that lasted about 30 seconds ... my second impression is that the beer is now "flat".

While I'm not truly keeping score, I would probably say I'd give this somewhere in the 27-29 range . Quite drinkable but not a favorite. More carbonation would definitely help this beer for my tastes.

Dan

P.S. Will be going to Granite City Brewery in Cedar Rapids tomorrow for lunch. Will try to post a review when I can.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Thanks for the review Dan. I didn't know beer was legal in Iowa.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

:lol:

We're going to go to one of the local brewpubs for lunch today. Granite City. The food looks to be pretty good and I've been told that the beers are also worthy. I'll post a review later today and or tomorrow.

On Saturday, I think we'll plan dinner at 75th street in KC (per Lyn's post).

Sunday morning the kids compete ... we managed to find a local gym for them to work out at and we cleaned up their form a little bit (pointed toes / legs together, and salutes) so they won't be so far removed from practice ... we got 3 45 minute sessions in in the last three days. I'll post results and a pic or two Monday (we fly home Sunday night).

Dan