Flanders Red critique anyone?

A place to discuss all things related to brewing ingredients.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

Brew Captain wrote:That looked so rank the other day under your stairs Mike that I had nightmares! Seriously! I don't think I am cut out for making sour beers or lambics for that matter. If I did I would just doctor up a batch with some lactic acid and skip the floating "white mold" phase!!!

Good luck!!

Cheers!
When it's done, I'm sure you'll still drink it :)
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

Yes, I suppose I will. I have never said no to an offer of a cold one...

Cheers!
spkrtoy

Post by spkrtoy »

Right on!
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

So I had some free time this afternoon and decided it was time to take a sample from each carboy. The airlock only carboy sample was much more clear than the one with the oak dowel. After sampling both, I felt the oaked version was slightly better with more brett character but not so much horsey, I'd say more smokey if anything. It tasted more complex. There was a lot of fruit in the nose and on the palette with both. The airlock only version gravity was 1.010 and I didn't take a gravity reading for the oak dowel sample. Needless to say, I was quite surprised at how good they tasted at only 6 months! I'm seriously considering kegging the oak dowel one now and adding some oak cubes to the airlock batch and aging it for another 6 months.

STOKED! :)
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

Cool man, I'm glad it turned out. I look forward to trying it :D
Kevin
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

Dude, where did you score the wine thief (still haven't found mine to give you)? Did you have to poke through all that nastiness to get a sample or had it dropped on both?

This is definitely a beer that I won't say doesn't have any balls Mike!! It took balls to actually taste some of that!! I would have needed an hour long warm-up session before we quaffed some of that down!

Cheers!
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

I dunno Robert, even well into a session I'd still be out. I've tried sour beers.

I know a lot of you really appreciate them and I certainly won't tell you you shouldn't. I'm more in the camp that can appreciate what it takes to craft one of these but I still think they taste like smashed assholes.
Oskaar

Post by Oskaar »

Backyard Brewer wrote:I dunno Robert, even well into a session I'd still be out. I've tried sour beers.

I know a lot of you really appreciate them and I certainly won't tell you you shouldn't. I'm more in the camp that can appreciate what it takes to craft one of these but I still think they taste like smashed assholes.
Tis true! I've seen the faces he makes when he tastes sour beers. They're truely inspiring!!

Cheers
Don't go into the Pimped-Out-Refrigerator Jack!
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

Brew Captain wrote:Dude, where did you score the wine thief (still haven't found mine to give you)? Did you have to poke through all that nastiness to get a sample or had it dropped on both?

This is definitely a beer that I won't say doesn't have any balls Mike!! It took balls to actually taste some of that!! I would have needed an hour long warm-up session before we quaffed some of that down!

Cheers!
I used a turkey baster (it's never been used before) since I didn't want to use the one I use for beer. You would have puked if you would have seen what the dowel looked like when I pulled it out. The pellicle was sticking to it and it pretty much looked like... like... I dunno, it was white, gross looking, but smelled great! I was careful not to disturb things when I was sampling so everything looks the same again.
Rezzin

Re: Flanders Red critique anyone?

Post by Rezzin »

In case anyone cares, here's a little photo update on my sour beers. It's been over a year now since I brewed them and they continue to maintain a nice thick pelicle.

Note: NOT FOR THE SQEAMISH!

Pure laziness has kept me from kegging the oak dowel one - but I think I'm ready. I plan on letting the other carboy sit for another year. I am going to keg this weekend - I really need to get around to it. It tasted great but a little light back in October so I'm looking forward to tasting it 6mo later.

Non oak dowel version:

Oak dowel version:

Oskaar

Post by Oskaar »

I will consider it a personal affront if I don't get a swill or two of that! :happybeer:
Don't go into the Pimped-Out-Refrigerator Jack!
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

Oskaar wrote:I will consider it a personal affront if I don't get a swill or two of that! :happybeer:
Since I helped make it I'm going to need a few sips as well! :D
Kevin
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

That looks Fantastic!
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

I think I deserve a taste just because I have had to look at those pics several times over the last year.
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

maltbarley wrote:I think I deserve a taste just because I have had to look at those pics several times over the last year.
That's the spirit!