First brew ingrediants

A place to discuss all things related to brewing ingredients.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Nickrp83

First brew ingrediants

Post by Nickrp83 »

Quick question:
my dad and I are brewing our first brew tomorrow. Our kit from te bruery in Fullerton says it comes with crystal 60l and 120l. What is that? That is not the activating sugar is it?
dhempy

Re: First brew ingrediants

Post by dhempy »

HI Nick:

Crystal refers to a particular family of kilned malts. The "L" after the numbers refers to the "Lovibond" rating. The higher the Lovibond number, the darker the malt and hence the more color (and to a certain extent, intensity of flavor) is added by that malt to the finished product. So what you have there are some crystal 60 (sweet caramel) and crystal 120 (smokey caramel) malts. I'm sure that our style guys (Capn' and Brad) can fill in the gaps ... others too.

The "activating sugar" is typically corn sugar ... don't add that until AFTER fermentation is completed ... right before bottling / kegging.

HTH

Dan
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

Well, that is my recipe and I put the kit together so I will try and field this one.

In addition to what Dan mentioned, those are the specialty malts, the crushed up grains in the bag. You use the dry extract I gave you in the kit as the base of the beer, the specialty grain adds more color and flavor. Those just need to be steeped in the included mesh bag per the instructions included in the recipe kit (like making a big ass tea)

Not sure what you meant by activating sugar, but the powder extract is the main sugar that the yeast will feed on, as well as some other sugars that add body and flavor. Priming sugar (what you add before bottling to add carbonation) is not standard in kits. It is an add-on because some brewers keg and don't need any, buy it in bulk, or use some other type of sugar. It will be a couple weeks before you need any, so if you didn't add any to the kit, you can order some before you bottle.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions let me know through here, call the shop, or email me at kevin@thebruery.com
Kevin
Nickrp83

Post by Nickrp83 »

Thank you both that totally clears it up for me thanks!!