Whole hops or pellets

A place to discuss all things related to brewing ingredients.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Second Home

Whole hops or pellets

Post by Second Home »

Whole hops or pellets? What do you use and why? The reason I ask is I'm just curious what most people are using. I have only ever used the pellets and wonder what advantages, if any, whole hops can offer.
To good Friends, Good Times, and Good Brew!
dhempy

Re: Whole hops or pellets

Post by dhempy »

Mostly pellets .. however, I do use my homegrown hops whole. Not much difference in the brewing process .... just the leavings in the boilpot is different.

Dan
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

Only pellets unless the hop I need is not available in a pellet.

They keep longer and my system is not designed to use whole hops; I don't have a screen on my boil kettle. Whole hops are hell on the pump and plug it almost instantly without a screen. I could use a hop bag and all or just add a screen, but I don't see a need.
carbon

Post by carbon »

Excellent question. I look forward to responses. I also only use pellet hops unless I'm using my homegrown hops (pictured on the right) or the variety I need is only available in whole form. IMO, I get better hop utilization from pellets. I usually pick through my spent whole hops and can see plenty of lupulin glands still clinging to the stems. Last time I used whole hops, I shredded them in a processor to try to get around this issue. I'm not sure if it really helped or not.
-------
rich
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

I use both, but for the reasons Derrin stated I put the whole hops in mesh bags so I don't clog the flow. I have considered getting another false bottom for my boil kettle to address this, but the mesh bags are really cheap and last a while. One thing to note is that whole hops expand a LOT so don't fill the mesh bag more than half full or you won't get much utilization.

All things being the same I would prefer to use exclusively whole hope as they are less processed and more traditional. I also like the rainbow of essential oils you get with whole hops that pellet hops don't create. You know that you are getting something more from whole hops that is somehow lost when pellet hops are processed even if the effect is negligible. However, because I brew somewhat infrequently these days (damn kids!) pellet hops are the way to go for their storage properties...

Cheers!
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

I can and have used both, but it seems like pellets are easier to come by.

Has anyone ever found plugs in the LHBS?
backyard brewer

carbon wrote:...(pictured on the right) ...
Umm..... I only see a red X and have ever since you posted how to post an avatar.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I use both, although I've started using pellets primarily since I got my pump because of the reasons other people have stated. I do still use whole hops in hop bags occasionally, but only for late additions or dry hopping. I agree with the Captain, I think you get more oils and more/better taste and aroma from the whole hops.
Second Home

Post by Second Home »

Thank you very much everyone. Very valuable information. I noticed some of you were talking about the pumps you have. I think that is going to be my next addition. Do you guys have any recomendations on what kind, how much, where to buy. Stuff like that. Also, how do you keep your pump clean and sanitized?
To good Friends, Good Times, and Good Brew!
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

I only use pellets, because my system (like others) isn't set up for whole.
Brad
backyard brewer

Second Home wrote:Thank you very much everyone. Very valuable information. I noticed some of you were talking about the pumps you have. I think that is going to be my next addition. Do you guys have any recomendations on what kind, how much, where to buy. Stuff like that. Also, how do you keep your pump clean and sanitized?
The March 809 pump is the most widely used for brewing. It has a polysulphone pump head so it's food and heat safe. It's a finicky little bitch though and can be hard to prime. I have a QD on mine and I mought straight to whatever vessel I'm pumping from.

B3 carries them, they run about $140 but Brew Commune members get their 10% discount.

I clean mine by just pumping some PBW through it at the end of the day and then fresh water. It doesn't need to be sanitized unless you are pumping your wort post boil, which I do. To sanitize, I just pump boiling wort near the end of the boil.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I clean mine by just pumping some PBW through it at the end of the day and then fresh water. It doesn't need to be sanitized unless you are pumping your wort post boil, which I do. To sanitize, I just pump boiling wort near the end of the boil.
Same here.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's