Mead Day - Honey Group Buy

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

Want to participate in a club mead?

Hell yeah!
83%
No Way Jose
17%

Total votes: 6

WillL

Mead Day - Honey Group Buy

Post by WillL »

Hey Guys,

After trying Chris's delicious 12 year old mead at our last meeting, I wanted to gauge interest in doing a club mead day. Chris (expert mead maker) has offered to help guide us on doing a mead and we can buy the honey in bulk and split it up.

Vote in the poll and comment the batch size you'd be interested in doing.

:cheers:
ctninh

Re: Mead Day - Honey Group Buy

Post by ctninh »

Can do 1 or 3 gal.

-Calvin
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

I'm happy to try and pass along some of the advice I received from many of our great mead-makers here in the club. I had been unsuccessfully making mead on my own for a few years, and when I joined Brewcommune, I met Oskaar (Pete), Lars & Jward right away, and learned so much from them and others. We met on Jward's driveway April 2010 for a club mead day, and Pete walked us through the steps. I found a few bottles recently (and I think BrewmasterBrad may still have some of his somewhere too) and really enjoyed sharing it at this last meeting.

I would recommend buying a nice honey like Orange Blossom, and you can tweek it from there if you are inspired by a spice or fruit addition. I'd also recommend D47 wine yeast, as it makes a really nice bodied mead.

For those who are new to mead, you will need to take care of the yeast during fermentation. Malt beverages have plenty of natural nutrients to keep the yeast happy, unlike honey. So, the first 10-14 days of fermentation need a basic check of the must, degassing, and sometimes nutrients. I'll work up a schedule, or you can use one you like from a website or past experience.

I found it easiest to buy an extra lid for my fermentation bucket, and drill the hole in the top for a larger stopper (#8 I think). With a standard lees stirrer attachment to a portable drill, you can remove the fermentation-lock stopper, drop in the stirrer and get the gasses out. Then slide the stopper back in, and get about your day.

A refractometer is also helpful to easily test gravity as the yeast works its magic!

Also, Oskaar posts a lot of good info on www.gotmead.com, so I recommend checking out the site. Here is an overview of a mead recipe like we will try: https://www.gotmead.com/community/threa ... how.24776/

So, if you are interested in this at all, please sign up and welcome to the world of mead! :happybeer:
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

ctninh wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:30 pm Can do 1 or 3 gal.

-Calvin
Certainly, you can do any size you prefer. However, it is just as much work for 1 gal, 3 gal or 5 gal. Perhaps you can ferment 3 gal, and then rack to 3 one-gallon jugs, and spice one, fruit the other, and keep one straight mead. Its all up to you!

There is no boiling, so it really comers down to your fermenter sizes.

My 2010 batch was 6 gallons, split into a 4 gal and 2 gal fermenter bucket. The smaller batch got the yarrow addition, but otherwise they were the same.
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
Megastout

Post by Megastout »

can do a couple 5 gal batches. I do taste manipulations in the bottling bucket to get several versions