Pilot group for homebrew share - volunteers needed

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

ctninh

Pilot group for homebrew share - volunteers needed

Post by ctninh »

COVID is tough on breweries and homebrew clubs. A lot of us miss sharing our homebrew and getting feedback. Likely, we may not have an in-person club meeting for a while. Let's bring back sharing homebrew during online meets.

I need help from 2-4 people to pilot a program where we share our brews. I want test this during December (post-Thanksgiving) to work out the issues in this small group. Please review the details below and email me at ctninh[at]gmail.com if you are certain you can provide some brews in December. Also post here if you want to be part of the pilot in case the email ends in my spam folder. I am open to extend this into January since this may be last minute with all the holiday stuff happening. Any help & feedback is welcome.

The overall idea is to share homebrew since we cannot meet in person. This pilot will focus on the logistics of distributing homebrew. Incorporating brews into online meetings comes later. I want to fix issues here before opening to the entire club. I also do not want this to be a hassle for Brewer's Hardware since they are helping us out.

Below is some info.

Drop off location is Brewer's Hardware: 5692 Buckingham Dr, Huntington Beach, CA 92649.
•Be very nice to Curtis since he is helping us out in this. He likes seltzer, BTW (bribes are welcome).

Bottle size: Less is best. This is a tasting after all. You may need to supply your own.
•7 oz bottles of Caronita Extras: I do not know how plentiful they are since Corona production was halted during the "caronavirus". If you find some, please save them. If you need help drinking the beers, I am sure you can find help here :lolno:. I will need confirmation if these are not twist off caps.
https://www.bevmo.com/shop/beer_and_har ... gJLGPD_BwE

•I have a bunch of 6.3 oz bottles to get rid of. Message me if you need some or you can get/split a case of your own. These can be sealed with standard bottle crowns.
https://www.midwestsupplies.com/product ... 4-per-case

•12 oz bottles are a last resort. 22+ oz bottles are a NO! since this is tasting.

•Number of bottles will depend on number of people participating. Just have some ready.

Timeline: tentative depending on people's schedules. Below is a wish:
•Beer is already bottled.
•Drop off/pick up period at Brewer's Hardware is ~3 weeks before a club meeting.
•Any beer left over 1 week after the meeting is discarded if space is needed.

Notes:
•This is the pilot. I expect any feedback since we will scale this process up to the entire club. Pros/cons with being nice is great but I am looking for sincere feedback. If you hurt my feelings, I have a good amount of beer to drown my tears in.

•I will use an open Google spreadsheet to track the beers. More details on this if you join in.
--I want a "To:..." and "From:..." label on the bottle. This can be masking tape and marker. It keeps track of things.
--Goggle spreadsheet is traceable on the changes made in case people get confused and we need to backtrack.

•Expect mistakes. Also, point them out so we can learn from it. We want to help share homebrew again and this new process will not be pristine the first time running it.

Again, email me ctninh[at]gmail.com if you can help.

-Calvin
Megastout

Re: Pilot group for homebrew share - volunteers needed

Post by Megastout »

I can just reply here. Yes, I can help
CurtisG

Post by CurtisG »

You can count me in.
indianajns

Post by indianajns »

I'm in as well. Thanks Calvin.
ctninh

Post by ctninh »

Hi all. When is the earliest you can bottle some beers?
Megastout

Post by Megastout »

I have many bottles
WillL

Post by WillL »

I'm down for this. I brewed for the first time in about a year this past weekend so the earliest I'll have bottles ready is probably 2-3 weeks.
ctninh

Post by ctninh »

Ok. Timeline to have beer brewed is late Dec or early Jan. Sooner is better.

Is that timeline to brew good for those who replied already?

As for bottles, I have some caps and 7 oz ones I don't mind throwing into this mix. Please be ready to bottle within 2 weeks after people confirmed.

-Calvin
Megastout

Post by Megastout »

yes
ctninh

Post by ctninh »

Hi all,

A preliminary spreadsheet is:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

I'll make it track changes so there is no funny business.

For this sheet, there are some identifying info on the brewer and brew.

Please list other ingredients in the beverage than typical fermented sugars (malt, adjunct sugars, honey), hops, and brewer's yeast. This is for allergy and preference reasons. Things to list include (and not limited to are) spices, wheat, other microbes, fruits, coffee, vegetables, oak, hop products...

Number of bottles will depend on how much you got to give away. In the example posted, I can give 6 bottles away. Then people can edit the sheet to be the first 6 to "reserve" a bottle. Again, changes can be tracked. In general, the ideas is to have those contributing to the share get first dibs on other bottles. I will think of how to prioritize this.

So far, this is the spreadsheet idea. Any review is good.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Confirmed to have beer ready by end of Dec/early Jan
Calvin
DT

Need confirmation
Curtis
Greg
Will

Anyone else want in on the pilot?
WillL

Post by WillL »

Confirmed :thumbup:
Megastout

Post by Megastout »

confirmed
Megastout

Post by Megastout »

Calvin, maybe drop off bottles one day and pick up another day. Then we will know bottle count.
WillL

Post by WillL »

I forget where we left off with this but do we want to try and coordinate this with our club beer buy from gamecraft? If people are already stopping by Brewers Hardware to pick those beers up we can try and have the homebrew there too.
Megastout

Post by Megastout »

good idea Will