Next beer tasting

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

Beer preference

Commercial examples
25%
Don't mind, any will do
75%

Total votes: 4

ctninh

Next beer tasting

Post by ctninh »

Hi all,

Long time no post. I am having difficulty finding beers since COVID messed up supply chains. I try to find easily obtainable, single small pack, representative styles to calibrate the tastings. But, some beers are not available in major marts (BevMo, Total Wine, ect).

I am wondering if anyone would mind if I just choose beers that are easily obtainable but not representative of the style (meaning, listed in the BJCP guidelines or did not win national awards). The same thing will apply, we'll get about 4 beers and check them out.

In the meantime:
Cicerone YouTube channel - you can buy some beers and follow along
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCplKUn ... R1W3_uNxwA

Siebel sensory training videos - goes through some info on tasting and off-flavors
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYNPIb ... md64ccfXPw

If I get some responses, I can plan another meeting within 2 weeks. Until then, keep safe.

-Calvin
Mosaic1492

Re: Next beer tasting

Post by Mosaic1492 »

Thanks for those links Calvin. Any date for next tasting session?
I know I missed the last two because I don't visit the page often enough. Gotta save the Facebook page too.
ctninh

Post by ctninh »

I didn't get much replies on this thread. I can set up a meeting between meetings since this is something I am interested in.

Any preference on style, brand, specific beers? I have a lot in mind and I will open this to the popular vote.

-Calvin
Mosaic1492

Post by Mosaic1492 »

Calvin,
Personally I'm interested in getting more education on tasting/judging lagers. I'm most challenged in providing solid feedback and impressions of beers in these categories that goes beyond I like it or I don't like it. A lot of the flavors/aromas seem more subtle, lack of clear understanding of DMS. Not a style I gravitate to that often but appreciating some good examples of these styles more and more.

Bob
ctninh

Post by ctninh »

Sure. I'll set one up for lagers and DMS. If you want to start now, Rolling Rock is known for having DMS in it (and maybe other things).

I can talk more at the meeting tonight (8/20).

-Calvin