Club Meeting Notes - April 16, 2020

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

WillL

Club Meeting Notes - April 16, 2020

Post by WillL »

7:00 PM: Thursday, April 16
Attendance: 28

First virtual meeting on Zoom and it wen't pretty well. No technological hiccups or people flashing everyone accidentally. It was technically an off-month meeting but I figured it was a unique meeting and we covered some good stuff so thought I would write up some notes.

Big thanks to Brad from Skyland Ale Works for supplying the Vienna lager for the style presentation and for taking some time to talk about the beer. Fantastic stuff. I know it's a bit of a drive to Corona for everyone but Brad makes good beer and it's worth the trip to grab some cans to go.

May Meeting
Chances are the May meeting will take place on Zoom again. We are looking for thoughts on which brewery we should use for the style presentation. Some ideas thrown around were Unsung, Chapman, and Stereo. Please post or message Greg if you have thoughts on where we should get beer. Greg's house and/or Brewers Hardware will always be a hub for picking up beer from whichever brewery we decide.

Hats
I dropped the ball on the hats with everything going on so I'll get in touch with my contact and see if he is still working and look to get an order going. It's been a while since everyone posted on whether they wanted a hat or not so once I find out if he is open I'll make a new post with purchase options.

Bracket Tournament
The tournament will probably be postponed until we have a meeting at a brewery. Luckily the way the bracket was organized by Michael we shouldn't have any issues with any of the matchups and would still be able to have the finals during our Christmas party.

Brewers Hardware Hop Filters
Brewers Hardware is still looking for members to try out hop filters and give feedback. If you are interested in testing one, post HERE​.

CBC Online
The Craft Brewers Conference was unfortunately cancelled, but they are releasing seminars online and providing content on their website. https://www.craftbrewersconference.com/

OC Brewery Status
Greg initially posted an awesome spreadsheet with some breweries and their current status with hours, phone number, shipping, etc. The brewers guild posted a more comprehensive sheet with nearly all the breweries in Orange County so we switched to that one. Breweries have definitely been hit hard with everything going on so it is good to keep supporting them if you can. Even if you buy a gift card to use later is a great thing to do. Check out the spreadsheet HERE​.

Style Presentation
7A. Vienna Lager
Skyland Ale Works Vienna Lager: Brad talked about the beer for a bit. This was his first lager as a homebrewer and he got 3rd place in the America's Finest City homebrew competition. Malt bill is Pilsner, Vienna, and Carafa. 20-21 IBU. The homebrew version uses Mexican Lager yeast but the Skyland version uses SafLager 34/70. 90 minute boil and uses local Corona city water.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.048 – 1.055, FG: 1.010 – 1.014
IBUs: 18 – 30, SRM: 9 – 15, ABV: 4.7 – 5.5%

Overall: A moderate-strength amber lager with a soft, smooth maltiness and moderate bitterness, yet finishing relatively dry. The malt flavor is clean, bready-rich, and somewhat toasty, with an elegant impression derived from quality base malts and process, not specialty malts and adjuncts.

History: Developed by Anton Dreher, it became popular in the mid-late 1800s. Now nearly extinct in
its area of origin, the style continues in Mexico where it was brought by Santiago Graf and other Austrian immigrant brewers in the late 1800s.
indianajns

Re: Club Meeting Notes - April 16, 2020

Post by indianajns »

Thanks for posting the notes Will. Great work!
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Thanks for organizing this fun event guys! While it doesn't replace meeting in person, it was nice to see everyone and talk beer with you all!

Turn out was very good! Here are screenshots of the 2 zoom pages in gallery mode!
Brewcommune_virtual_meeting1.png
Brewcommune_virtual_meeting1.png (946.43 KiB) Viewed 2343 times
Brewcommune_virtual_meeting2.png
Brewcommune_virtual_meeting2.png (836.19 KiB) Viewed 2343 times
Have a great weekend all!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
Megastout

Post by Megastout »

Great Job!