Checking in. How's everyone doing? Anyone Brewing?

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

indianajns

Checking in. How's everyone doing? Anyone Brewing?

Post by indianajns »

I'm going crazy with having the kids around 24/7. Other than that making the best of it. I have plenty of Skyland beer, (for now), and brewing an English Mild this weekend.

Miss all of your faces and look forward to ramping the meetings back up in April or May.

Hang in there,
Greg
MrAverageGuy

Re: Checking in. How's everyone doing? Anyone Brewing?

Post by MrAverageGuy »

Thanks for asking!

All good here - I think we're less impacted than some are right now.

Definitely brewing, especially since I got a helpful tip from Curtis on where to get some ingredients I needed.

Got a British Golden Ale kegged, a best bitter (sort of a Boddington's clone, with invert sugar, etc.) fermenting, and also a Witbier fermenting. Bitter oranges are in season right now, for anyone who likes a classical Wit.

There is some positive news out there on treatments and on other fronts (for example, Google on hydroxychloroquine), that is currently being drowned out by the media torrent of bad news, IMO.

See you all on the other side.
Robert

Post by Robert »

I too am doing well, getting lots of cleaning done. Will keg my Japanese lager today and clean up my unitank for my next beer. Also I just received a fresh dumped 15 gallon bourbon barrel. Looking for 1 or 2 others to brew a base stout and share the barrel to age? I will be brewing a Pilsner next, maybe Sunday. I have also been ordering beer to go from our local breweries, it's a tough time for small business. Also if anyone finds themselves in need of supplies to brew shoot me a message. If I have what you need I'm happy to help. Stay safe and please check in. :cheers:
WillL

Post by WillL »

Robert wrote:I too am doing well, getting lots of cleaning done. Will keg my Japanese lager today and clean up my unitank for my next beer.
I've always wanted to do a Japanese rice lager. Mind sharing the recipe?
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Doing pretty well here. The kids are their mom's problem until next Friday, so it's pretty just peaceful with the puppy here.

Which I guess I never mentioned. Jess and I got a golden retriever, Jake, and brought him home Jan 25.

This was a few days after that... He's a lot different now!

As for the COVID stuff, I was already working from home before it got bad, because I have that flexibility. Jess works as an office manager for an internal medicine practice, so she's still gotta go in every day. Luckily they're not actually seeing patients F2F at the moment so she's not being exposed.

I've been lax in brewing for WAY too long. I brewed a pilsner in Sep that has been going through extended lagering [i.e. I've been too busy/lazy to keg it] that needs to get kegged this weekend. I'm planning on brewing a blonde ale this weekend because I'm fairly certain I have the ingredients (I haven't checked) and just needed to get yeast.

My pipeline went dry, so hopefully all this at-home time will give me more opportunity to brew... And maybe do some projects around the house that I've been neglecting.
Brad
ctninh

Post by ctninh »

Kegged my yearly honey blonde that was supposed to make this month's meeting. Oh well, got to make a fresh batch for later on. Still have some (old) imperial stout in my other keg I am sipping away. May not be brewing soon. Fot a bunch of small packs from nearby breweries to taste other styles. Brushed up on Cicerone modules, got 3 of 5. Might as well study for that at home.

Hope to see you all soon.

-Calvin
Megastout

Post by Megastout »

I am like many of you. Brewed today a Amber Kellerbier, 114th style, closing in on completing all 118. Tomorrow a Best Bitter.
Counted up, have about 50 different styles of homebrew to choose from, my god.
Have a Mead in secondary at the moment for 1 month, then will add super clear and age for 3 months, then will split, one without any additions, one with caramel, one with chocolate and one with caramel and chocolate. Will do all to taste.
Yes, support our local breweries.
Hope we can make our April meeting, but odds are not in our favor at this time.
DT
backhousebrew

Post by backhousebrew »

hops.jpg
hops.jpg (1.96 MiB) Viewed 7971 times
Watching the hops grow
Drink Good Beer!
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

bwarbiany wrote:Doing pretty well here. The kids are their mom's problem until next Friday, so it's pretty just peaceful with the puppy here.

Which I guess I never mentioned. Jess and I got a golden retriever, Jake, and brought him home Jan 25.

This was a few days after that... He's a lot different now!

Goldens are the BEST dogs ever.
Megastout

Post by Megastout »

If you haven't heard, Scott Windsor has now opened his second location near Bottlelogic.
I stopped by and said hello
1045 N Armando St
Anaheim 92806
CurtisG

Post by CurtisG »

MrAverageGuy wrote: There is some positive news out there on treatments and on other fronts (for example, Google on hydroxychloroquine), that is currently being drowned out by the media torrent of bad news, IMO.
Hey I have a jug of that in my shed. I'll just chug some of it. :thumbup:

Jokes aside. I need to brew... probably brewing my competition beer soon.
MrAverageGuy

Post by MrAverageGuy »

CurtisG wrote:
MrAverageGuy wrote: There is some positive news out there on treatments and on other fronts (for example, Google on hydroxychloroquine), that is currently being drowned out by the media torrent of bad news, IMO.

If it's a jug of aquarium cleaner, then maybe read the cautions on the label first..... :) ?

Just went by Windsor today and picked up a grain order. Scott has things well set-up and wants your business. I'll be brewing a sweet stout before long....
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

MrAverageGuy wrote:
CurtisG wrote:

If it's a jug of aquarium cleaner, then maybe read the cautions on the label first..... :) ?
Yeah, some rocket surgeon decided that chloroquine would "immunize" him to COVID-19 and chugged some aquarium cleaner and killed himself.

I guess he was probably not more than a week out from trying to make toast in the bathtub...
Brad
Mosaic1492

Post by Mosaic1492 »

Going to head over to Scott's new Windsor store in Anaheim today so I can brew a NE IPA this weekend. Glad to see he is opening a shop closer to home. Always buy something from his bottle/can offerings, but no beer there yet.
Mosaic1492

Post by Mosaic1492 »

Robert wrote:I too am doing well, getting lots of cleaning done. Will keg my Japanese lager today and clean up my unitank for my next beer. Also I just received a fresh dumped 15 gallon bourbon barrel. Looking for 1 or 2 others to brew a base stout and share the barrel to age? I will be brewing a Pilsner next, maybe Sunday. I have also been ordering beer to go from our local breweries, it's a tough time for small business. Also if anyone finds themselves in need of supplies to brew shoot me a message. If I have what you need I'm happy to help. Stay safe and please check in. :cheers:
Robert - I would be up for the barrel project. I can brew 5 gallons for this.