August Club Meeting - Chapman Crafted, August 21st, 7 PM

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

indianajns

August Club Meeting - Chapman Crafted, August 21st, 7 PM

Post by indianajns »

Greetings!

The August 2019 meeting will be held at Chapman Crafted on Wednesday, August 21st at 7:00 PM. https://www.chapmancrafted.beer

Address:
123 N. Cypress Street
Old Towne Orange, California 92866

Chapman will be tapping Counterparts, the BOS brew from our competition so be there to give it a try! It's gonna be awesome.

Off-Month Meetings have no official business. It is more of a social gathering to drink, talk and share beer, and meet up with members. Please bring your homebrew if you would like to get some feedback.

Meetings are open to all Brewcommune forum members (paid and non-paid). If you are new to Brewcommune, please come out and introduce yourself.
MrAverageGuy

Re: August Club Meeting - Chapman Crafted, August 21st, 7 PM

Post by MrAverageGuy »

Will be there with 2 beers to share, for sure, prob including one I'll be turning in for the Mashups contest...
WillL

Post by WillL »

Looking forward to trying the BOS beer!
SamIam

Post by SamIam »

Very cool, and nice job Greg! Why Wednesday and not Tuesday?
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day!"
~Frank Sinatra
hjw

Post by hjw »

Was that a hazy? I remember the top 3 were quite good.
CurtisG

Post by CurtisG »

SamIam wrote:Very cool, and nice job Greg! Why Wednesday and not Tuesday?
We were getting the run around from some other locations and Chapman had events on the other days that week.
hjw wrote:Was that a hazy? I remember the top 3 were quite good.
It was a baltic porter!
hjw

Post by hjw »

That's right . Very tasty and not the usual style.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

I'd like to get back to Tuesdays as well. That is the established day in the bylaws.

I'm out for this one. :(
CurtisG

Post by CurtisG »

JonW wrote:I'd like to get back to Tuesdays as well. That is the established day in the bylaws.
We have been trying to get back on the 3rd Tuesday/Thursday time frame but have been prioritizing venue quality over schedule. Despite AB 2172 making sharing homebrew legal, finding a different quiet room that allows home brew sharing and a private space for our club every month is getting difficult with the amount of events breweries are running.

Unless I'm missing it, the bylaws actually don't specify a day of the week, "once every other month, a day most members can make and 14 day notification". We missed that this month but we try to get a post up with a few weeks notice for members.

Hopefully next month we can get this back on the proper schedule to ensure everyone can make it!
ctninh

Post by ctninh »

First, I want to thank the organizers for finding a spot that allows homebrew and us being roudy. From my experience with volunteer groups, any help is appreciated by all members. It's a lot of side work for organizers. Any ideas on new venues would be cool. I am open for new spots.

I think the top 3 of that comp were a hazy IPA, American barleywine, and the baltic porter. I also think the brewers talked about using barrels for the baltic porter.

Finally, I cannot make this meet and I would really like to taste the beer I judged months ago. I have mental notes to compare the scaled up version. This may be a side convo, but it may be an idea for a non-homebrew meet to taste the pro am beer another day.

-Calvin
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

CurtisG wrote:
JonW wrote:I'd like to get back to Tuesdays as well. That is the established day in the bylaws.
We have been trying to get back on the 3rd Tuesday/Thursday time frame but have been prioritizing venue quality over schedule. Despite AB 2172 making sharing homebrew legal, finding a different quiet room that allows home brew sharing and a private space for our club every month is getting difficult with the amount of events breweries are running.

Unless I'm missing it, the bylaws actually don't specify a day of the week, "once every other month, a day most members can make and 14 day notification". We missed that this month but we try to get a post up with a few weeks notice for members.

Hopefully next month we can get this back on the proper schedule to ensure everyone can make it!
Not trying to beat on this, but you skipped the section where it says to have a set regular meeting schedule - which has been the second Tuesday on odd numbered months.
1.6.2 The Vice President shall coordinate time and venue of all club meetings, brew days and special events and the notifications of same to the membership. This requires working with the membership to select dates that a majority can attend. A set Regular Meeting schedule (ie: second Tuesday on odd numbered months) may be established if approved by the membership.
Having said that, I'm not opposed to having one here or there being on a different day, but we should be striving to keep to our long-standing schedule.
indianajns

Post by indianajns »

Apologies for being late to this discussion as I am the individual responsible for our occasional meetings on a Wednesday. (I'm on vacation currently). Ya'll will have to indulge the long post as I'd like to explain the reasoning behind this and also how things are going to change going forward.

I'm not a fan of having meetings at OOTP pizza. I love the pizza, the beer is good, and ownership is accommodating, but as a homebrew club I've made it a priority for my time as VP to try and schedule meetings at Breweries. Back when I thought the meetings had to be on Tuesday or Thursday (Depending on meeting type), I struggled with inking these breweries when I was required to schedule the meeting on only one day of the month. So, we researched the bylaws and as Jon stated previously in this thread:

1.6.2 The Vice President shall coordinate time and venue of all club meetings, brew days and special events and the notifications of same to the membership. This requires working with the membership to select dates that a majority can attend. A set Regular Meeting schedule (ie: second Tuesday on odd numbered months) may be established if approved by the membership.

I read this differently than Jon: " set Regular Meeting schedule (ie: second Tuesday on odd numbered months) may be established if approved by the membership." I see the third week as "regularly scheduled." This allows me flexibility to work with the breweries. Instead of 1 day out of the month I gave them 3 days. This is primarily the reason why we haven't been to OOTP pizza for quite a while.

With all of that said I hear the membership that relies on the consistency of a set day in the third week as it was before I changed things up without fully vetting that decision with the club. The bylaws state: "if approved by the membership." I should have acquired buy-in from membership before adopting this strategy. Therefore, starting with the September meeting, I will follow the following structure when scheduling a meeting, (mostly back to the way things were before I changed it up.): I will continue to try and schedule with a brewery on the one day of the month, (Tuesday or Thursday depending on meeting type.) If the brewery(s) are not available on that day I will schedule at OOTP. I will also try and call earlier to get on the breweries schedule before they fill up. We can have a separate discussion regarding a moving meeting date in the third week in the membership section to get thoughts from everyone.

Cheers,
Greg
Last edited by indianajns on Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
ctninh

Post by ctninh »

Hey Greg. Still awesome job you are doing. I drink beer at many places. If I think a venue is good for BrewCommune, I will pass it to you.

As one of the BOS judges of the competition that placed the baltic porter, please go there and evaluate it. I remember a pleasant dark malt aroma minus the roughness. Malt/hop balance was even. Alcohol was present and not overwhelming at first (be careful). For us, let's see how the production version holds. Best of luck at the ProAm comp.

-Calvin
ScottK

Post by ScottK »

For what it's worth, a quieter location is the most important component for me. Some of our meetings have been places where with our group size, it's nearly impossible to hear presentations or comments if you're not immediately close to the speaker. I understand the difficulty in setting up the meeting locations. This is not a critique, just a preference. I also understand that we need to take what is available and it may not be optimal. I do appreciate the scheduling efforts!
I have not yet begun to defile myself.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Truthfully, I welcome the idea that meetings might be on variable days from Tues-Wed-Thurs.

Various people in the past have had conflicts on Tuesdays. But then, no matter what day you pick, SOMEONE will have a long-standing conflict.

Rotating through those mid-week days may help to not unduly burden any individual member's conflicts. I don't know how many of the members plan "third Tuesday of the month" in their calendars several months in advance, but I'm guessing it's not many. You can make it or you can't.

Key to me is giving as much advance notice as possible, whatever the day of the week and the venue is.

Of course, none of the above is to suggest I'll show up to anything. I'd actually love to make it for this one and I'm free of the kids, but I've got a work dinner scheduled. Jerks. :(
Brad