Pressing Apples for Cider

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

Mosaic1492

Pressing Apples for Cider

Post by Mosaic1492 »

Have an opportunity to acquire around 100 pounds of local apples.
I have made cider before but only from store bought apple juice.

Does anyone have equipment (a presser?) that can be used to quickly extract the juice from these apples?
Even tips or sources on how to make good cider with apples would be appreciated.
Thanks.
CurtisG

Re: Pressing Apples for Cider

Post by CurtisG »

Unfortunately I don't know anyone with a presser. I wonder if you could blend them up then strain the pulp?
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

I had a thought about pressing fresh apples a ways back, and I only came up with a Amazon book - how to DIY make a press

or buy one.

For more info on making cider, you could always check out the Cider Forum at Homebrewtalk.com.

Maltose Parrot just made a run up the orchards for a bulk group buy on fresh pressed cider, so a bunch of us are starting to ferment our ciders about now. Check out some of our ideas in this members topic.

For me, I plan to ferment my 5 gallons with the English Dry Cider yeast from White Labs. My intro into homebrewing started with gallon jugs of store-bought cider, plus a packet of dry yeast. It is pretty simple to make. However, after learning about making meads, I will probably ferment my cider more like a mead... (e.g. nutrient additions, lee-stirring, etc.)

From what I have read recently, ciders will ferment pretty dry, so you can back sweeten after fermentation, but need to follow some of the caveats. Also, you can add some malic or citric acid to give it a bit more balance, and some tannins for bite.

Sorry for the rambling post... hope some of that is useful!
K:-)
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
jward

Post by jward »

One DIY trick I saw was running the apples through an all stainless steel sink garbage disposer before pressing. I think you can rent a press meant for pressing grapes.
Mosaic1492

Post by Mosaic1492 »

appreciate the replies folks. Thanks
ctninh

Post by ctninh »

I think Stein Fillers may have a press for rent. Call first befor showing up.

For cider, my knowledge only goes as far as alcohol, tartness (acid), and carbonation. Are you fortifying the cider or adding flavors? And I approve the use of English dry yeast since I prefer dry ciders.

-Calvin
Reid
Club Treasurer

Post by Reid »

Calvin,
I've made cider three/four times from fresh-pressed apples. The best way is to purchase a low-powered garbage disposal and cheap laundry basin and run the pulp into a mesh bag lined bucket with spout. Then you can use a pot lid as a pusher and squeeze the juice out.

Making pulp is the MOST important part. Trying to quarter apples then press is very difficult and your yield will be low.

I'd be interested in helping/contributing/consuming.
Reid
Club Treasurer

Post by Reid »

jward wrote:One DIY trick I saw was running the apples through an all stainless steel sink garbage disposer before pressing. I think you can rent a press meant for pressing grapes.
I missed this post, but as I also stated, the garbage disposal is THE way to go.
Mosaic1492

Post by Mosaic1492 »

I'm going with a presser. One of the guys that works at Steinfillers, Gary, will loan me his.
Appreciate the info on the garbage disposal/laundry chute idea, but I'd likely electrocute myself. And then someone might feel bad for a day.