Brewcommune Judges the Taste of HB

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

JonW
Site Admin

Brewcommune Judges the Taste of HB

Post by JonW »

I was approached a while back to see if I was interested in organizing the beer judging for the Taste of Huntington Beach. Hmm... let me think about that.... duh, YES!

In addition to myself, we had Randy (rcwebrew), Derrin (Backyard Brewer), Tony (Maltose Parrot), Tim (maltbarley) and Chris (LexusChris) doing the judging.

Because of the nature of the event, it didn't lend itself to judging via BJCP style scoring, so we adopted the Ratebeer.com / BeerAdvocate.com rating systems. We created 3 teams of 2 judges and divided the breweries up into the 3 teams. Each team would go and get samples from the breweries and would discuss the characteristics of the beer and come up with a consensus score between them. Each team advanced their top 3 beers and then needed to sample the other 6 beers that were advanced from the other teams.

There were 18 breweries and 43 beers total. The top spot went to a brand new brewery from HB called RIIP Brewing. This was a really fun event and we should be getting invited back to do this every year. :cheers:
2015_Taste_HB.JPG
2015_Taste_HB.JPG (79.67 KiB) Viewed 778 times
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Brewcommune Judges the Taste of HB

Post by JonW »

Here are the scores for the top 9 beers.
2015_Taste_Scores.PNG
2015_Taste_Scores.PNG (8.95 KiB) Viewed 777 times