Home coffee roasters?

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

jward

Home coffee roasters?

Post by jward »

Who in the club is a home coffee roaster? It seemed like Jon and Brian C. have roasted on a brew day.
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Home coffee roasters?

Post by JonW »

Yup Yup. What's your Q?
jward

Post by jward »

I am mostly seeing who to chat up.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

What are you roasting in? I use a home made SC/TO style unit. All batches are 1 lb. I go through a pound a week for espresso, so my regimen is to roast two pounds every two weeks. Roasting a lb takes about 12-13 minutes to get to second crack.

A couple of years ago I was buying all kinds of different greens and doing my own blends. For quite a while though I've just been buying the unroasted version of Metropolis Coffee's Redline Espresso (unroasted they call it Greenline).

Although I like a lot of different coffee's, I generally only brew espresso at home, so my roasting is a little 1 dimensional.

Here's a few pictures of the roaster:

BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I have a Fresh Roast SR-300 from MoreCoffee.com. I like it, but I would like something with a little capacity and power. I roast outside and this little thing takes a long time to get to second crack on cold days. I generally roast a couple times a week, just doing a few ounces at a time. I keep trying different beans from the selection at MoreCoffee, but I think I need to expand my horizons a little bit.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
jward

Post by jward »

I do not yet have a roaster. I saw the one you built and like the design. A friend at work passes home roasted coffee to me as I pass him home made beer. That coffee pretty much went to Mary. Said friend likes lighter roasted coffee for coffee. We have never talked espresso. I expect I'll like lighter roasts too.