Brown ale not carbing

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

Greywolf

Brown ale not carbing

Post by Greywolf »

I brewed a brown ale at the beginning of December and had intended to bottle it to have for Christmas. Well, timing didn't work out and it ended up in secondary for three weeks (after a primary of 2 week). I primed with 1/2 cup of corn sugar. I popped one open last night, it is about as flat as a glass of water. Is it possible that after 5 weeks, there was so little viable yeast left that it just didn't carb?
GreyWolf27
dhempy

Re: Brown ale not carbing

Post by dhempy »

At what temp were the bottles stored? Can you confirm that the caps sealed tightly?

Unless you had absolutely no viable yeast (hard to imagine with only 3 weeks in secondary) you should be getting something. If the bottles were stored cold (below 65 degrees) then get 'em someplace warmer for a week or so and try another one.

Anyone else got any other ideas?

Dan
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

I have bottled after 4 or5 weeks and they carb'd nicely. But temp was over 68 degrees
What was your storage temp? What yeast did you use? How much yeast did you pitch?
What was recipe?
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

dhempy wrote:At what temp were the bottles stored? Can you confirm that the caps sealed tightly?

Unless you had absolutely no viable yeast (hard to imagine with only 3 weeks in secondary) you should be getting something. If the bottles were stored cold (below 65 degrees) then get 'em someplace warmer for a week or so and try another one.

Anyone else got any other ideas?

Dan
+1
Greywolf

Post by Greywolf »

I imagine the temperature is the culprit... the corner of my living room is probably ~ 58-60. I will warm them up and see how it goes.

I'll post the recipe when I get home from work.

The yeast was a starter made ~ 6-8 hours ahead of time... WLP005
Last edited by Greywolf on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
GreyWolf27
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Try to get them around 70-72 for a week or so and see what happens.

Good luck!

Dan
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

Greywolf wrote:I imagine the temperate is the culprit... the corner of my living room is probably ~ 58-60. I will warm them up and see how it goes.

I'll post the recipe when I get home from work.

The yeast was a starter made ~ 6-8 hours ahead of time... WLP005
Short starter time may also be a problem. I like to make starters then put on stir plate for 24-48 hours
No stir plate? Then let it sit for minimum of 24 hours
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

It depends on the size of the starter. If you're making a 1L or smaller starter from a vial/smackpack of yeast you're not actually going to get any growth, all you're really doing is "waking up" the yeast. In that case you want to pitch at high krausen which may be in only a few hours.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

DrDually wrote:
Short starter time may also be a problem. I like to make starters then put on stir plate for 24-48 hours
No stir plate? Then let it sit for minimum of 24 hours
Not sure I follow here unless you saying that it didn't ferment completely ... but with 3 weeks in secondary there should've been plenty of time for there to be plenty of yeast for tertiary fermentation (carbonation) even if the starter was small ... unless you're saying that the starter somehow inhibited the yeast. Can you enlighten me further on the cause / effect?

Greywolf ... can you provide starting and ending gravity readings and any other info you have regarding the fermentation? And just to be sure ... you did prime with corn sugar right?

FWIW: Back when I was doing mini-mash batches, I never used a starter ... just a vial ... and never had any issues with bottled beer carbonating.
Greywolf

Post by Greywolf »

OG was 1.046
FG was 1.014

right where they should be.

I am thinking that the temp is too cold for them where they are at. Will be moving them as soon as I complete this post, and see how they turn out in a week.
GreyWolf27
nico soze

Post by nico soze »

i never do starters, and never have problems with under carbonation, with fermentation times longer than stated here. i'm guessing its the cold cold living room. man that's a cold living room.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Yes, I would say that the most likely suspect is your conditioning temp.

Dan
Greywolf

Post by Greywolf »

I thought I had warmed it up a bit... until last night. I cracked open another bottle... no bubbles... I dropped in a thermometer... 60*...

All of my beer is now on top of my fridge... hopefully that will bring up the temp and get the yeast to carb it.
GreyWolf27