untappd

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

nico soze

untappd

Post by nico soze »

At the bruery I kept asking everyone if their beer was on untappd. By the looks I received I could tell some explanation is in order. Untappd.com and its accompanying iPhone and android apps is part Facebook for drunks, part beer scavenger hunt, and part database for beers you've tried. Basically, you tell the app what beer you're drinking, and your rating of it. It then publishes that data to a stream your friends can see, and then reccomends similar beers your friends liked. You get badges for accomplishing tasks like drinking a beer at the brewery and drinking 3 stouts on international stout day and Things like that. Try it out. You can even register your own homebrews (or your buddies) into the system so they can be checked into. That's what I meant by "is this beer on untappd?"
grico

Re: untappd

Post by grico »

Its fun times, and gives great suggestions. Though when you unlock some badges, your liver starts to hurt. :happybeer:
Gallons Brewed 2011: 85
Gallons Brewed 2012: 165
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

I liken it kinda to the beer version of Foursquare... Not only that, but Foursquare is really about signalling how cool you are to all your friends on twitter, but I realized after a while that my life was most definitely *not* interesting enough to be on Foursquare [i.e. "Yay! I'm the mayor of the dry cleaner!"]... It's one thing to check in to Haven or The Bruery -- it's another to check in to McDonald's... And with two kids, you can guess which one I'd be more likely to be the mayor of!

But maybe I'm wrong on untappd, so if you can sell me on it, I might give it a try... My current method of showing off good beers is by using Google+. What about untappd is superior?
Brad
nico soze

Post by nico soze »

It makes a game out of it. You "earn" "badges" for drinking. And It keeps track of what you've already drank and how much u liked it. Plus the recommendations. And last month they had a sweepstakes. If you had 3 beers from a certain Belgian importer you were automatically entered to win a trip to Belgium. Its basically the same thing you do in g+ but there's features specifically for what you're doing.
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

The people would like to introduce exhibit A, the defendant's own record from his "Untappd" account...
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

backyard brewer wrote:The people would like to introduce exhibit A, the defendant's own record from his "Untappd" account...
Not that I plan on having any legal proceedings against me, but I thought the same thing. The last thing I need is a public log of everything I've drank and where I drank it.
nico soze

Post by nico soze »

funny, i felt the OPPOSITE way about it. airtight alibis.

my generation and the one after it have completely rejected the idea of privacy and discretion. case in point: myspace,facebook,twitter,foursquare, etc etc etc.

and the older cats aint much better. when my uncle and aunt split up, they spent MONTHS arguing back and forth in facebook comments, and tried to one up each other by airing the others dirty laundry. it was really embarrasing.
Blackcomb

Post by Blackcomb »

I use it to keep track of all the different beers I drink if different places or at home. pretty cool to browse back after thinking...did I try that beer? Where have I had it? Boom...hit the app and find out. Pretty sure you can keep all your info private, but for those that aren't into the social scene a ton....might not be the app for you but I give it a thumbs up!