Hello Brewcommuners!

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

Rezzin

Hello Brewcommuners!

Post by Rezzin »

I think I need a reintroduction it's been so long.

I'm an old BC member who's been on a brewing hiatus for about 3 years now. My name is Mike, and I used to be a homebrewer :) I had have 2 kids - a 4yr old girl and a 2yr old son. It's one of reason's my homebrewing took a back seat. I still see a few of guys here on FB so it's not like I'm a complete ghost - just on the BC board.

Anyhow, if anyone remembers... one of the last couple of brews I did was a Flanders red. Since then I got a new computer and haven't put Promash on it so I can't check my brew notes but I *FINALLY* kegged 10 gallons today. Better bottles were used for both. Batch 1 used a wooden dowel pushed through a modified carboy lid using an S shaped airlock (I will only use these from now on). Batch #2 was fermented normally with a 3p airlock (it was dried out... who knows for how long).

I forgot to check gravity so I'm assuming full attenuation. Yes, I tasted both. I have to admit - I was a little scared. The wooden dowel batch definitely tasted better... it was sour but not over the top balsamic vinegar sour. It was actually pretty good. If I had a young beer to blend with - I can see it being pretty awesome. The normal batch I think picked up a little something... the aroma was a little off. The taste was good but there was something on the back I was picking up. Diacetyl?

I also had autosiphon headaches when racking to kegs. The fit on the middle peice I was was not good as about 3/4 of the way finished it starting sucking a LOT of air. Instead of quitting, I tried getting the siphon going again but I'm pretty sure it got a good addition of air. Fortunately it's a flanders so hopefully it won't be a biggy. Had the problem with both batches :( I tossed out the autosiphon afterwards.

Anyways, I'm hoping to make an upcoming meeting sometime soon... meet up with old faces and say hi to new ones.

/ramble off
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Hello Brewcommuners!

Post by JonW »

Welcome back Mike. I've only been around here for the last year or so, so I'll be looking forward to meeting you at an upcoming meeting. There's one coming up on the 17th.
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Welcome back and congrats on your 1st brew of your rebirth! :happybeer:

Meeting on Tuesday, May 17th .. hope to see you there!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Hey Rezzin! Great to see you back in the fold. How did your martial arts pursuits wind up? Hope to catch up with you soon.

Dan
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Welcome back Rezzin! I hope to see you at the next meeting. I've been waiting to taste that Flanders forever!
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

I'll see if I can get a hallpass on the 17th. Unless I can fix my CO2 tank (as soon as I open the main valve it starts leaking CO2 right at the top - not at the regulator) I doubt I'll have anything ready to share. I also was not paying attention and used kegs that aren't really holding good seals right now. Good enough to keep the lid pressured but not sure if it's good enough to carb the beer. I'll work on it a little tomorrow and see where I get. I just wanted to get the beers kegged. I've been wanting to do this for almost 2 years now but laziness got the best of me :)

I have to admit - I'm going to have to relearn averything as I've been out of the game for so long... but as always, that's part of the fun!
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

It's about time!

If you want to take the easy way out, you can drop the kegs off to me and I'll carb them for you.
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

You might also check the gasket between valve and regulator...they usually fall out
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Hey Mike, good to hear from you again.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

Duh, it was the regulator (where it screws into the tank) that was loose. I'm not too handy.

This beer is pretty sour - in a good way though. Although I think if I had a young beer, blending it would be awesome. Too bad. I got a lot of air when I racked so I'm not sure how long it will hold out... i'll let this carb up and try and bring a sample over sometime soon. I don't remember if I did a secondary for aging or not but I'm REALLY surprised it's drinkable even after 3 years.

I have a semi sweet mead thats been aging just as long but the airlock dried out too. No idea how long. Hopefully the layer of C02 will be enough to keep it ok. I need to taste/bottle this thing soon too.

I need to start brewing soon. Looking at all my gear when I was fishing for equipment and smelling my 'brew closet' brought back fond memories :) Something about that homebrew shop smell...

Didn't someone from the board open a brew shop in Fullerton? Is it still open?

I miss you guys... it's good to see most everyone is still here and active.