May Club Meeting 5/17/11 7PM (Tuesday)

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

Are you planning on coming to this unique event?

Hell yes! With rumors about that the Ladera Location is going away, this is a great chance to see the 10 BBL system & enjoy their patio!
47%
Perhaps, gotta get a kitchen pass...
29%
No way... my schedule got the best of me this month..
24%

Total votes: 17

lexuschris

May Club Meeting 5/17/11 7PM (Tuesday)

Post by lexuschris »

The campers have returned. The homebrew has been put back in the kegerator. The jockey boxes cleaned & stored. The dust of the SCHF has settled .... So, It's now time to have our annual post-fest MAY MEETING 2011!!!

May 17th, 2011 (TUESDAY) 7PM :beer: Location is still being finalized, but it is looking really good for Backstreet Brewery in Ladera Ranch!

Last month, Maltbarley & I got to assist Eric Baum, head brewer @ Backstreet Brewery, with a 10 BBL batch of Scotch Ale! Over 900 lbs of grain went into this malty brew, based upon a recipe that Eric & I worked on. Well, it goes into the serving tanks next week, and will be at several of their locations (Orange, Irvine, Ladera Ranch) by next weekend. We'll be sure to have a few pitchers available for the club at the meeting!
Tim extracting spent grain from the mash tun
Tim extracting spent grain from the mash tun
BackstreetBrewDay01.jpg (54.31 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
Dang! There is a lot of grain here!
Dang! There is a lot of grain here!
BackstreetBrewDay02.jpg (61.22 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
In the fermenter for 2 weeks!
In the fermenter for 2 weeks!
BackstreetBrewDay03.jpg (30.97 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
Eric has also offered to show us around the brewery and talk about the equipment & beer! :happybeer: Excellent!

This is at there South Orange County location, which has a nice patio and of course the Lampost restaurant attached. (You gotta try their Taco Pizza! Excellent!)

Lampost Pizza / Backstreet Brewery in Ladera Ranch
27702 Crown Valley Parkway
Ladera Ranch, CA 92694
(949) 388-7260

Also, please bring your homebrew, mead & ciders to pass around & talk about. Posting your brew's recipe in the club database is a great way for everyone to remember your creation, and match ingredients & techniques to real-world tastings. This is also a great place to ask questions, and solicit advice about your beer.

See you all there!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Re: May Club Meeting 5/17/11 7PM (Tuesday)

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I won't be able to make it since I will be teaching. Have fun guys.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
StarRaptor

Post by StarRaptor »

Physical Inventory for my company starts that night and as the head of the supply chain it's my baby

I'm Out
nico soze

Post by nico soze »

Wow, that's kind of far for me. Anyone in whittier/fullerton area wanna car pool?
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Location, date & time are now confirmed as posted above.

The location on Crown Valley is close to either the 5 or 241 freeways...

See the map...

It should only be about 30 mins from Fullerton, and the 5-South traffic in the evening is usually pretty light. The location is worth the drive, and its nice to move around a bit so that its not always a long hike for the same people.

See ya all there!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
Blackcomb

Post by Blackcomb »

I'll be there!
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Been a while since I've been to a meeting, and since for once you guys have managed to come down to south OC, I want to attend.

That said, my wife has a class that evening that would make me late... Given that I haven't attended in a meeting in a while, how late do they typically run? If I show up a bit before 9PM, will people still be there?
Brad
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Officially they go to 9pm, with lots of folks hanging out later when its at a pub like this. So, definitely come when you can!
--LexusChris
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

bwarbiany wrote:Been a while since I've been to a meeting, and since for once you guys have managed to come down to south OC, I want to attend.

That said, my wife has a class that evening that would make me late... Given that I haven't attended in a meeting in a while, how late do they typically run? If I show up a bit before 9PM, will people still be there?
Two words: baby sitter. :mrgreen:
Blackcomb

Post by Blackcomb »

I wont be able to make this like I thought due to a birthday. Darnit!
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Blackcomb wrote:I wont be able to make this like I thought due to a birthday. Darnit!
They don't like beer?
Blackcomb

Post by Blackcomb »

maltbarley wrote:
Blackcomb wrote:I wont be able to make this like I thought due to a birthday. Darnit!
They don't like beer?
The wifes don't lol...trust me if I could melt the two together w'e all be in heaven! :D
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Looks like we've got 8 people that say they're going to make it...

Someone [preferably who may be there past 9] PM me a phone number. I'll call when my wife gets home to make sure the party's still rollin'...

I'll bring by some lawnmower beer to sober you guys up for the drive home...
Brad
Blackcomb

Post by Blackcomb »

How was it? Pixs!
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Hey all,

We had a fun relaxed meeting down at Backstreet in Ladera Ranch. Their lease has run out, and they will be vacating that location in a few weeks. The brewery has been sold, but we're not sure to whom, and whether they will be brew at that location or not.

We had a small turnout, between schedule conflicts and the xtra drive, but it was nice out on the patio and a local band stopped by to play some classic rock tunes while we sampled beers & food.

Derrin was there with a box full of his latest stainless steel goodies from Brewer's Hardware. Just beautiful gear... Really giving me the itch to upgrade my system!

JonW brough his Chico Pale Ale and a wonderfully roasty dark brew! Bwarbiany came by with his tasty blonde ale. Tim & I showed off our Backstreet brewed 80 Schilling Scottish ale (it came out great! Should be at the Irvine & Orange Backstreet locations too!) Tim also brought some of his beautiful pale ale and some of the club barrel barleywine! I had some of my Warrior Honey Wheat, from the brew fest, as well as a bottle of my latest gruit, to righteously sunder any tastebuds that were left. BrianC and Jward regaled us with tales of their latest batches, and shared many stories from the brew fest. (apologies if I missed anyone's brew 8) )

The folks at Backstreet were very good to us, and we did get a chance to wander back around the brew kettles & fermenters. I never got to my taco pizza (ate a late lunch on the flight in from Tulsa), but the onion rings & jalapeno poppers were tasty!

Next meeting is for July 19th (3rd Tuesday of July), and we'll definitely be north county on the next one. Hope to see everyone there!
--LexusChris