New Brewing Recipe Site

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

randyklein

New Brewing Recipe Site

Post by randyklein »

I wanted to share my latest creation. http://www.BrewItAgain.com. Its a web 2.0 brewing recipe site. I'm hoping it becomes the de facto brewing recipe site.

Please check it out, use it, let me know what you think, and most importantly, pass the word along!
maltbarley

Re: New Brewing Recipe Site

Post by maltbarley »

Pretty cool, but can you distinguish all-grain from extract?
randyklein

Post by randyklein »

maltbarley wrote:Pretty cool, but can you distinguish all-grain from extract?
Yup, you can, sort of. Right now, it says the type on the recipe page itself. Thats one of the main complaints that ive gotten, so I'm working on a way to filter the recipes in the category by a few things, one of which is the type (grain, all grain, partial mash). The other filters are OG, FG, and Rating. That should be finished in a week or so.

Thanks for the comment!
ScottK

Post by ScottK »

I like it!
I have not yet begun to defile myself.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Here's an idea.. Write some import/export routines to support BeerSmith, BeerXML, etc. and this database could grow quickly.
randyklein

Post by randyklein »

Wanted to give a quick update. The two most requested features have been better grain type visibility, and import / export.

Ive done a little work to make the grain type clearly visible on all of the pages. For those of you that requested this, let me know what you think. Also, i'll be putting an update in very shortly to allow you to be able to filter within the categories by things like grain, rating, OG, etc...

Once I get that finished, i'm going to start working on the import export. I expect that to be a bit of work, but hopefully it will be in there shortly.

Lastly, i'm working to get batch sizes in there for all of the recipes. That should be done very soon.
randyklein

Post by randyklein »

Another quick update about the site. I put in a nice little filter feature. When you are viewing a category. You can now filter by things like: Recipe type (all grain, extract, partial), OG, FG, and recipe rating. Next up on the todo list is the much anticipated beerXML import.
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

If you haven't stopped by the BeerXML site yet, you should check it out. Lots of good stuff in there to help you get started...

http://www.beerxml.com

Good luck!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
nico soze

Post by nico soze »

Call me dumb, but where can I find recipes for beers with 8 or 9% abb? Everything I find is like 5.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

nico soze wrote:Call me dumb, but where can I find recipes for beers with 8 or 9% abb? Everything I find is like 5.
Note... Beers like this can be VERY difficult to brew well. Even once you've honed your brewing process, there are often additional tweaks that need to be made to brew heavy beers (i.e. aeration, yeast health, temp control, etc). They become difficult to fully ferment, and off flavors can easily become magnified.

When I first started, the neighbor who I brewed with and I would make the occasional attempt to take some recipe and make it "extreme". It never turned out well. Off flavors were magnified. Even now, i rarely make anything above 8%, but I'm confident enough in my process that I make the occasional stronger brew.
Brad
nico soze

Post by nico soze »

Yeah. Reading more it seems to be a little tougher. 8 is fine. I'm just not looking to brew session beers.
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

nico soze wrote:Yeah. Reading more it seems to be a little tougher. 8 is fine. I'm just not looking to brew session beers.
I'd bet a number of people would tend to disagree with your presumed definition of a session beer. While a high ABV may prevent you from downing the same equivalent amount you might have if you were drinking a BMC, I think the flavor and aroma portion play a fairly big role as well. For example a really hoppy beer regardless of ABV would be less pleasent on a hot summer day than a lighter flavored beer of the same ABV. In essence regardless of ABV one might be considered a session beer and the other not.

Anyways, that just my $0.02.
Jon Image
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Don't go knocking session beers if you have never tried a fine homebrewed example. I am drinking 3.77% English Pale Ale right now that is very flavorful. I brewed it on January 10, and it is pretty damn good. That being said, it is just as difficult to brew a fine session beer since off flavors have nowhere to hide. It's my opinion that most new brewers should stick to the 1.045 to 1.055 OG range when first starting out until they get their processes and fermentation control down.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
nico soze

Post by nico soze »

You both make good points. I still have a lot to learn. I'm just saying I like a big bold flavor with complexity, as opposed to "drinkability"