WTF???

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

bwarbiany

WTF???

Post by bwarbiany »

http://www.guernicamag.com/features/2236/ball_1_1_11/

I'd point out all the things wrong... But I'm trying to find a single thing that's *right*, and coming up empty.
Brad
JonW
Site Admin

Re: WTF???

Post by JonW »

Uhhh, wow..... :shock:
Beer-making in a nutshell: First, you make a sort of soup of malted barley; this is called the wort. You boil it, which releases the malt sugar from the barley. While it is boiling, you immerse the hops, in a cheesecloth sachet, like dipping a tea bag. You leave them in for only a few minutes, because hops have such an overwhelming flavor.
You can make a mediocre ale and no one will notice; with a lager, there is nowhere to hide.
Yeah, plenty more tidbits where these came from!

You know what they say: Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Yeah, did you know that lagers are all crisp, dry, and not at all sweet? And they've got clear, golden colors. Like Spaten Optimator! And they don't use lots of hops... Especially not those beers from Pilsen!
Brad
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

That’s what I have against a lot of microbrews. You can’t gulp them down all at once.
Sounds to me like he only shotguns his beer. Maybe if more craft beers came in cans he'd feel differently.

Yikes, he really went out of his way to avoid putting any facts in this article. I've never heard of Guernica before but I think I'll be avoiding it if I see it in the future.
StarRaptor

Post by StarRaptor »

The comments are just as great both for pointing out the idiocy of the article and there own ignorance

such as
Guinness by the way, is a lager.
I'm a beginning homebrewer and semi-avid microbrew drinker from Oregon, and this piece reads to me like someone trying to extol the virtues of velveeta over artisan cheeses.
It's funny that a professor who lives in academia and should be very familiar with the importance of research and documentation would write an article with so little of either.
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Hmm.. this guy is like 4th generation Coors family, living in Golden, CO and thinks the sun rises AND sets with American macro-pilsners.

Yeah, when I was a kid, I used to like Velveeta too.... until I knew better... :)
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
jward

Post by jward »

lexuschris wrote:Yeah, when I was a kid, I used to like Velveeta too.... until I knew better... :)
--LexusChris
Sure, take your fancy cheddar and see if you can melt it smooth like Velveeta. :wink:
Rick Ball wrote:The whole idea of hops is to counteract the sweetness of the wort.
What, what? :roll:
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Having taken the Coors tour just a few months ago, I can assure you that all of his material came directly to him over the headset...just not in that order...lol.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Dammit, I knew I was leaving my hops in the boil too long!!
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's