What did you brew in 2010?

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

brahn
Site Admin

What did you brew in 2010?

Post by brahn »

I just went through my records to see what I had brewed in 2010. I brewed 10 batches for 100G of beer, a new record for me!

I used 257lbs of fermentables, the most popular being (in order): 2-Row, Munich, German Pilsner and Rye malt.

I used just over 2.1kg of hops (4.7lbs!). The most popular by a good amount was Columbus. There were quite a few in a tight grouping after that including German Saphir, Spalter, US Magnum, Willamette and Simcoe.

5 of the batches (50%) were fermented with US-05, 2 batches with WY1007, one each with WY3711, WLP570, and WLP029.

Overall a pretty good year that I hope to surpass this year.
lars

Re: What did you brew in 2010?

Post by lars »

I brewed nothing other than a small batch of mead. I'm looking forward to a more productive 2011!
Shut up and brew
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

I chalked up 13 beers (65 gal), 2 meads (7 gal).

Not sure about the exact totals, but lots of US Pale 2-row, and then some Maris Otter & Golden Promise too. Not too much wheat, contrary to popular opinion! :roll:

Since I had bought hops from Hops Direct, I tried to use my Cascade, Amarillo & Centennial often. I'm almost out of Cascade, and my Amarillo has a dent... just a batch or two with the Centennial.

This year, my most prevelant yeast was US-05 and/or WLP001. In a close 2nd was Nottingham. I also tried WLP051 (Calif V), WLP002 (English), WLP320 (Amer. Hefeweizen), WLP013 (London), WLP028 (Edinburgh).

My most interesting 'new-to-me' ingredients this year:

GRAIN: Brown Malt (Wonderful character malt)
HOP: Strisslespalt (the black currant aroma was cool)
YEAST: London Ale (WLP013) (A really nice malt forward yeast! Can't wait to brew with it again)
SPICE: Yarrow Flowers (Excellent aroma! I've tried them in late boil, and in dry-hop)

Looking forward to 2011's brew calander!!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
brianc

Post by brianc »

I slacked off this year. Only 3 batches for just under 150 gallons.
backhousebrew

Post by backhousebrew »

Good question.
I counted 14 brews and 12 brew dates.
One a month average.
Tried a variety of styles too.
Dubble Bock, Pale Ale, Cream Ale, Porter, Hef,
Stout, Winter Ale, Blonde, Biere de Garde, IPA,
Steam Beer, Nut Brown Hemp Ale
2010 was a good beer year.
2011 will be even better!
Drink Good Beer!
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

You guys keep better notes than I do ... somewhere between 20 and 25 batches ... 140 - 160 gallons.

Dan
jward

Post by jward »

dhempy wrote:You guys keep better notes than I do ... somewhere between 20 and 25 batches ... 140 - 160 gallons.

Dan
Wow, Dan. You should share more as you brew.

I don't have good notes. A made a Cream ale, 3-4 batches of Red ale, 1-2 of American wheat, a Brown ale, a Pliny the Elder with a twist, the Kelsey collaboration West Coast Bitter, and about 7 gallons of Sage mead. That's probably a record year for me. That's 85-105 gallons.

I hope to include lagers next year with Vienna lager (probably should call it Munich since I'm likely to use more of that grain) and a CAP. I want to try oaking an oatmeal stout and maybe an American amber. I also hope to make a run at some of British and Scottish ales. I hope to expand back to more liquid yeast after a couple years of mostly US-05.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

dhempy wrote:You guys keep better notes than I do ... somewhere between 20 and 25 batches ... 140 - 160 gallons.

Dan
My brewing software keeps track of it all for me, I just click the History button. :)
jward wrote: I hope to expand back to more liquid yeast after a couple years of mostly US-05.
Is this because you want to try different yeast that aren't available dry or because you think you make better beer with liquid yeast, or some other reason?
jward

Post by jward »

brahn wrote: My brewing software keeps track of it all for me, I just click the History button. :)
For the beers I do all the time I often reuse a recipe/brew session printout.
brahn wrote:
jward wrote: I hope to expand back to more liquid yeast after a couple years of mostly US-05.
Is this because you want to try different yeast that aren't available dry or because you think you make better beer with liquid yeast, or some other reason?
To try different yeast.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

brahn wrote:My brewing software keeps track of it all for me, I just click the History button. :)
I assume this is a Promash feature (b/c I cant find it in Beersmith)?

Anyway, I had 7 batches for ~70 gallons... I'd have had more, but didn't get my equipment home from Dustin's place until April this year.

Rye Pale Ale
Light Belgian Ale
Belgian IPA
American IPA
Barleywine (club barrel collaboration)
Milk Stout
Hoppy Blonde-ish Ale with home-roasted malt

Grain use was all over the place. Same with hops, although heavy Columbus use on the two IPAs. US-05 for the Rye, the Am. IPA, Barleywine and Blonde-ish. Nottingham for the Milk Stout. Belgian yeast for both Belgians.

70 gallons -- just ain't gonna cut it. I need to shoot for 100 or more this year.
Brad
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

bwarbiany wrote:
brahn wrote:My brewing software keeps track of it all for me, I just click the History button. :)
I assume this is a Promash feature (b/c I cant find it in Beersmith)?
It's a Mac app called Beer Alchemy. I'm a little surprised Beersmith doesn't have a simple reporting option like that.
bwarbiany wrote: 70 gallons -- just ain't gonna cut it. I need to shoot for 100 or more this year.
I was stoked to finally hit 100G, I'm hoping to hit at least 120 this year.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

jward wrote:
Wow, Dan. You should share more as you brew.
Share more brew???

I just don't think of it on brewday. 1) I typically brew weekdays, 2) I start kind of early .. right after getting the kids off to school, and 3) I'm so far removed for anyone that I figure there is little chance of anyone actually showing up. Somewhere between 70 and 80 of those gallons went to parties and or folks that wanted a case or two. The rest are necessary to keep that 10 position kegerator (see pic top right) flowing (yes all 10 are full at the moment!)

Let see if I can remember some of the new brews (for me) from this year .. Munich Helles, Cali Common, Amber Ale (Fat Tire Clone), Dunkelweizen, English Brown Mild come to mind. I brewed some of my standards ... multiple stouts and porters, a bo-pils, a vienna, a hefe, a honey brown, a kolsch ... I know there are others. Some were 5 gallons, others were 10. I used up a big grain and hop stash and tried to keep the fermenters full and bubbling. I'm not seeing any belgians on my list for the first time in a while ... that will have to change this year!

Dan
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

brianc wrote:I slacked off this year. Only 3 batches for just under 150 gallons.
LOL :) 3 batches = 150 gallons

I made it to 70 gallons.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

26 brews (25 beers and 1 mead) for a total of 255 gallons. This is down from 290 gallons in 2009. Work really got in the way this year.

273.25 lbs. of 2-row malt, 106 lbs. of Pilsner malt, 23 lbs. of Maris Otter, 27 lbs. of Vienna, plus a bunch of other specialty grains.

6.73 lbs. of hops, 14 different varieties. Hallertauer was the most popular this year.

7 different beer yeasts this year - WLP001, WLP007, WLP029, WLP400, WLP810, WLP830, and WLP940.

My goals this year are to never run dry and to place in at least one competition. I netted 7 medals in 2010 and I have placed in at least one comp every year since 2005, so I want to keep my string alive. Comps I will be targeting this year include AFC, NHC, PBC, and IEB.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
Marotte Brewery

Post by Marotte Brewery »

I brewed 12 batches this year, the last 4 being all grain. Total of 60 gallons:

Cal Common Ale (I grabbed the wrong yeast)
Stout (Rogue Shakespear clone)
Double Barrel Ale
Apricot Hefe
Cal Common Lager (this time I got the right yeast)
Levitation Clone
IPA - all Columbus hops (3rd place at Addison Extract comp)
Irish Red (AG1 - bad beer, good learning experience)
Club Barleywine
Pale Ale (AG2 - SNPA clone)
Oatmeal Stout (AG3 - Rogue clone converted from extract recipe)
Chocolate Chipotle Porter (AG4)

My wife and I also welcomed our first child, a daughter, on the last day of the year, but I guess that would go under the column of what my wife brewed last year!

The begining of 2011 will be a bit slow in brewing, as we both get used to the new addition to our family, but I hope to pick up the pace and surpass last year in total volume, as I got a new 15 gallon kettle from Santa.