Garage brewing

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

tikitatt

Garage brewing

Post by tikitatt »

Has anyone converted their garage to a brewing room? What are the pros and cons of converting a garage into a brew house?

John
DrDually

Re: Garage brewing

Post by DrDually »

Some things to consider...getting rid of heat and carbon monoxide
Also recommend finishing garage with walls and ceiling to keep dust etc to a minimum
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
tikitatt

Post by tikitatt »

My garage at one point was used as a bedroom. So, all I would have to do to make it back to a room is add one wall with a door along with some kind of flooring (tile or carpet). Heat is a problem because it's cold there and is the coldest room in my house. We don't have a heater or A/C but if needed I could add one although it doesn't sound like it's needed. I'm not sure how to get rid of carbon monoxide but do have a lot of friends that are contractors. I also have plenty of custom made cabinets and the ceiling has popcorn ceilings. Gotta love the 70's.
DrDually wrote:Some things to consider...getting rid of heat and carbon monoxide
Also recommend finishing garage with walls and ceiling to keep dust etc to a minimum
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

Sounds like you are almost there. Popcorn applied in the 70's may have asbestos so be careful. Removing CO can be done with of a hood much like what you have in kitchem...just need to pull exhaust out of garage. I have seen garage conversions using a large box fan to move air while door is open. What are your plans for runnign water, drains and gas hook ups?
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
tikitatt

Post by tikitatt »

I was going to build a wall that would eliminate the outside door. I have a water spicket just outside my garage door as well as drains but none inside the garage and the gasline is way on the other side of my house so may have to consider propane. I'm not sure how intense I want to get on this build or what my wife will agree to.
DrDually wrote:Sounds like you are almost there. Popcorn applied in the 70's may have asbestos so be careful. Removing CO can be done with of a hood much like what you have in kitchem...just need to pull exhaust out of garage. I have seen garage conversions using a large box fan to move air while door is open. What are your plans for runnign water, drains and gas hook ups?
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

One of the advantages of living in California, is that it is never really that cold or wet out here... (alright... these last 2 weeks aside.. ;) )

When it is raining, I brew in my garage, but with the door up and the propane burner at the open threshold. Carbon monoxide is nothing you want to play around with. 5 teenagers were just killed in Florida this week because of CO poisoning (non brewing related). It is odorless and accumulates along the floors first.

Really really good ventilation is key! I would also recommend a CO detector mounted low in the room, for early detection of problems...

If you are going to brew inside a room, closed off with poor ventillation, then you should consider going natrual gas, like a regular stove top uses. My understanding is that does not produce any CO...

Other than that, I like the other suggestions. :)
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
tikitatt

Post by tikitatt »

This is starting to sound really expensive and will have to rethink making my garage into a brewing room and into a tasting room instead.
lexuschris wrote:One of the advantages of living in California, is that it is never really that cold or wet out here... (alright... these last 2 weeks aside.. ;) )

When it is raining, I brew in my garage, but with the door up and the propane burner at the open threshold. Carbon monoxide is nothing you want to play around with. 5 teenagers were just killed in Florida this week because of CO poisoning (non brewing related). It is odorless and accumulates along the floors first.

Really really good ventilation is key! I would also recommend a CO detector mounted low in the room, for early detection of problems...

If you are going to brew inside a room, closed off with poor ventillation, then you should consider going natrual gas, like a regular stove top uses. My understanding is that does not produce any CO...

Other than that, I like the other suggestions. :)
--LexusChris
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

tikitatt wrote:This is starting to sound really expensive and will have to rethink making my garage into a brewing room and into a tasting room instead.
I vote for this... Man cave FTW!
Brad
tikitatt

Post by tikitatt »

I have tons of Elvis statues, Tiki's, Tiki mug's, beer steins and a vintage custom made Witco bar from the 1960's that all needs a good home and the garage is just that place.
bwarbiany wrote:
tikitatt wrote:This is starting to sound really expensive and will have to rethink making my garage into a brewing room and into a tasting room instead.
I vote for this... Man cave FTW!
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Man cave .. Man Cave .. Man Cave ..
tikitatt

Post by tikitatt »

I am redoing my interior of my house and want to move all my steins, tiki mugs, etc into the garage along with my vintage 1950's Hawaiian furniture. It will be a tropical man cave.
dhempy wrote:Man cave .. Man Cave .. Man Cave ..
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

No man is a [tropical] island...

...but Tikitatt's garage will be one.
Brad