Who loves fishing?

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

lexuschris

Who loves fishing?

Post by lexuschris »

Hey all,

I love fishing. Been fishing since I was a tike, but lately not seen much chance to cast a rod or bait a hook. Been really jonez'n for a good ol' fishing trip someplace.

Just curious who else enjoys being outdoors and trying their hand at saltwater, freshwater, lake, river, sea, etc. kind of fishing! Maybe if we have enough interest in one or the other, we can get a group together.

:cheers:
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
backyard brewer

Re: Who loves fishing?

Post by backyard brewer »

Love me the saltwater fishing. Not a big fan of lake fishing. Most fun I think I've ever had (fishing) was a wide open mackeral bite off Huntington Flats. Musta caught 150 of them between the 3 of us. We ended up cutting 2 hooks off the trebles and flattening the barbs so we could let them go quicker. You couldn't get your jig out of the water without a fish on it.

Caught a nice Marlin in Cabo. That was way cooler, but not as much fun.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Yes .. I like the SW fishing too ... never caught anything as big as a Marlin but getting into an Albacore bite is pretty neat. And I like fishing for White Seabass and kayak fishing for calicos in the kelp.

Dan
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

While I do prefer catching 6" catfish in a Sedona pond, I used to love the 1/2 or 3/4 day boats out of Newport Landing. So Chris, are you putting together an ice fishing trip?
backyard brewer

I chartered a 1/2 day boat out of Newport for a work event a few years back. It was pretty reasonable, considering. I want to say it was about $2800 and could fish like 50 people. We limited it to 25 people (otherwise what's the point of a charter when you can just do a party boat?) Anyway, worked out to just over $100 per person to have that big boat privately catering to us at half capacity. I think we were on Nautilus.
backyard brewer

I guess we did a 3/4 day or more. I just looked it up and you can charter the Aggressor for $1510 on a sunday for a 1/2 day. She'll fish 47 people so 25 people on a boat like that is way more fun to fish. So figure $70 a person with tip for a 5-6 hour trip...

I know you can't bring your own beer though.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I love to fly fish (salt and freshwater), but I've been out on those boats a few times and that was fun too.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I love all types of fishing. In fact, I just inherited a fly rod from my uncle (he was a big fan of my beer) and I intend on trying it out this summer.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
oc eric

Post by oc eric »

Bass, striper, trout man myself. I fish Irvine, Puddingstone, Perris, Silverwood, Diamond Valley and Skinner.

I have Stratos 176 bass boat. I fish on Tues/Wed when it is not bitter cold. Let me know when you are free.
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

So, if I put together a 6 angler charter to Catalina for the day @ ~$300/person (includes rod, reel, tackle, bait), could we fill that boat?
:D
--lexuschris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
backyard brewer

A little rich for my blood right now, but maybe next year towards summer.
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Same here: a bit much but that does sound fun.
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Ok. Just wanted to see what may or may not be possible. We'll keep the wheels turning on this idea...
:)
--Lexuschris
backyard brewer

lexuschris wrote:Ok. Just wanted to see what may or may not be possible. We'll keep the wheels turning on this idea...
:)
--Lexuschris
Yeah, I think 20-25 people at $100-120 and chartering a bigger boat is more doable. I know I could probably get 4 -5 that would want to go plus I'd want to bring Jonah. I've been diving on a 6-pack a couple times and it's cool to have a small group like that, but fishing on a 1/2 capacity party boat is also really cool.

Only other problem is right now we'd be rock fishing no matter what so next summer is a bette choice anyway.