New members

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

dhempy

Re: New members

Post by dhempy »

I forgot that this was an extract brew so mash temp isn't as relevant ... I was thinking that if you had mashed at a higher temp, then your FG would likely be higher ... but since you used extract and steeped your grains, we cannot be sure how the extract was mashed and therefor cannot say for certain how "fermentable" it is (which in the end, affects your likely and achievable FG).

With regard to ferm temp, if you notice that your fermentation is slowing down, you can let the temperature rise a bit to help the yeasties do their thing. Lower temps (especially early on) help contain the higher alcohols and phenols. Once the bulk for fermentation is done, these are less likely to be an issue so you can let the temp creep up an bit to encourage yeast activity. There are folks way more knowledgeable than I on this subject and maybe they will chime in. In the end though, I would be patient and get another reading next week and see where you are.

Dan
tikitatt

Post by tikitatt »

Yeah, my carboy doesn't look like there is much happening inside. I can move the carboy upstairs where it is a few degrees warmer but not much. Would that help the process or should I just leave it alone and retest it in a few days?

Thank you,
John
dhempy wrote:I forgot that this was an extract brew so mash temp isn't as relevant ... I was thinking that if you had mashed at a higher temp, then your FG would likely be higher ... but since you used extract and steeped your grains, we cannot be sure how the extract was mashed and therefor cannot say for certain how "fermentable" it is (which in the end, affects your likely and achievable FG).

With regard to ferm temp, if you notice that your fermentation is slowing down, you can let the temperature rise a bit to help the yeasties do their thing. Lower temps (especially early on) help contain the higher alcohols and phenols. Once the bulk for fermentation is done, these are less likely to be an issue so you can let the temp creep up an bit to encourage yeast activity. There are folks way more knowledgeable than I on this subject and maybe they will chime in. In the end though, I would be patient and get another reading next week and see where you are.

Dan
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

One more message for you, as a new brewer:

If you think you're going to stick with the hobby, KEG, KEG, KEG!

Bottling sucks. It's the least enjoyable part of brewing, IMHO, and that INCLUDES the comparison to cleaning and disposing of spent grain in 10-gallon all-grain batches.

As early as you can do so, make the investment in switching to kegs. It is an expense that you are VERY unlikely to regret -- worst case, if you don't like homebrewing, you can easily convert it to a kegerator for commercial beer!

The day you make the switch, even if it's your second batch, will make you wonder why you've waited so long.
Brad
tikitatt

Post by tikitatt »

I gave my homemade kegerator away a few years ago. Oh well! Looks like I'll have to save up and buy a new one.
bwarbiany wrote:One more message for you, as a new brewer:

If you think you're going to stick with the hobby, KEG, KEG, KEG!

Bottling sucks. It's the least enjoyable part of brewing, IMHO, and that INCLUDES the comparison to cleaning and disposing of spent grain in 10-gallon all-grain batches.

As early as you can do so, make the investment in switching to kegs. It is an expense that you are VERY unlikely to regret -- worst case, if you don't like homebrewing, you can easily convert it to a kegerator for commercial beer!

The day you make the switch, even if it's your second batch, will make you wonder why you've waited so long.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

+ 1 on kegging.

Your call on moving it or not but I think I would wait at least until the 1 week mark before changing anything. If it were me, I'd wait until Tuesday, take a reading, and then decide what to do. RDWHAHB!

Dan
tikitatt

Post by tikitatt »

I didn't think it was a good idea to move it. I haven't touched it yet and will take the reading in a few days.
dhempy wrote:+ 1 on kegging.

Your call on moving it or not but I think I would wait at least until the 1 week mark before changing anything. If it were me, I'd wait until Tuesday, take a reading, and then decide what to do. RDWHAHB!

Dan
tikitatt

Post by tikitatt »

The temperature in the closet where I am storing my carboy is around 63 degrees and will drop during the night. I put a blanket on it to try to keep it from getting too cold. I'm not sure on what to do or if I should do anything at all.

Thank you and have a great Christmas.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Which yeast are you using? Google it and have a look at its preferred temp range. If you suspect it is going too slow, then try to get it somewhere back towards the upper end of its range. IF it stays towards the lower end .. not a big deal, it'll just take a while longer.

Dan
tikitatt

Post by tikitatt »

Hi Dan, I really appreciate all the help you and everyone has given me. We used safale yeast s-04 for this batch. The temperature range given on the Fermentis website is a very generous 59 to 75 degrees F. Right now it's at 65 degrees and from what I understand it should be fine. I just may have to check the levels in a few days and go from there. I would prefer not to move it if at all possible. I would have never thought to google the yeast to get the answer. It's tips like that that is saving my first batch.

Thanks again,
John
PS~ My wife and I are going to Pizza Port tomorrow in San Clemente to visit my cousin who is a manager on the restaurant side. Everyone is welcome to join us. We will be there around 1PM tomorrow.
dhempy wrote:Which yeast are you using? Google it and have a look at its preferred temp range. If you suspect it is going too slow, then try to get it somewhere back towards the upper end of its range. IF it stays towards the lower end .. not a big deal, it'll just take a while longer.

Dan
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

tikitatt wrote:PS~ My wife and I are going to Pizza Port tomorrow in San Clemente to visit my cousin who is a manager on the restaurant side. Everyone is welcome to join us. We will be there around 1PM tomorrow.
So very tempting...I love me some Pizza Port.
tikitatt

Post by tikitatt »

Come join us.
maltbarley wrote:
tikitatt wrote:PS~ My wife and I are going to Pizza Port tomorrow in San Clemente to visit my cousin who is a manager on the restaurant side. Everyone is welcome to join us. We will be there around 1PM tomorrow.
So very tempting...I love me some Pizza Port.
tikitatt

Post by tikitatt »

We will be at Pizza Port in San Clemente today around 12:30 or 1PM if anyone would like to join us.

John
tikitatt

Post by tikitatt »

I will be testing the levels tomorrow and can't wait. It has been difficult playing the wait and see game and look forward to tasting the fruits of my labor.
tikitatt

Post by tikitatt »

I just got done taking another sample and it reads as:

4 potential
6 Brix (or Plato)
1.022 specific gravity

I am enjoying the flavor of my cream stout which is good news just not sure what the total out come will be. I don’t want to rush it but I am thinking of rechecking it again this Sunday. Any thoughts?

John
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

You might be at your final gravity (FG) at this point, checking it again on Sunday sounds like a good plan. You might also want to calibrate your hydrometer, they're often off by a few points. There are instructions here:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4926408_calibra ... meter.html

The original gravity of the wort has a big impact on the FG. Do you know the recipe you used for this batch? I don't remember seeing it in the thread. Since it's extract if you can post the recipe we can probably get a good estimate of what the OG was and that would give us a better idea of what FG to expect.