The Mentor on Bloomberg TV

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

maltbarley

The Mentor on Bloomberg TV

Post by maltbarley »

Tonight's episode was about Jim Koch helping out the guys at Oceanside Ale Works. I've only seen the trailer and didn't get home in time to watch it. Did anyone happen to record this show?
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Re: The Mentor on Bloomberg TV

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Missed that one, but I did see that Sam Calagione is getting his own show on Discovery that starts later this month on Nov. 21.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Did anyone catch Brewmasters on Discovery last night? I'm still trying to make up my mind on if it's worth watching again.
jward

Post by jward »

I caught it. If the whole series is like that episode, I'll watch less TV.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I missed it, but I've got it set to record at 5pm today. I don't like any of DFH's beers save 60 minute and festina peche, but I do like that they're not stuck on style guidelines. So far I've only set one episode to record, much like I always try one bottle of their beers. If the show's as good as the beer, that will be my last one. :)
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

It's recorded, but I have not watched it yet. I'm not a big fan of DFH beers and while I admire Sam for his drive, vision, and success, he is kind of a pompous ass.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
Marotte Brewery

Post by Marotte Brewery »

I watched it last night. It was to be expected... A bit dumbed down for a homebrewer.

Also, they spent the whole episode talking about a beer/mead made with "natural honey" (complete with bee carcasses), but then blended it with 75% RIS. It might be an interesting beer, but I'll bet my money that it tastes like RIS.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I watched it last night, it really felt to me like a big DFH / Sony commercial. I liked the segments on some of the things that went wrong, like with the metal tube that fell into one of the bottles and the glue spill. It adds a bit of a human element to the whole thing. I would have to agree that the resulting beer probably just tastes like RIS, but I haven't seen that one in stores around here so I haven't tried it. It looked like they had a few little containers of that "natural honey" and then probably at least 10x as much orange blossom honey, so I doubt that the character of the "natural honey" would have come through even in the base "Tej".

In all, it probably convinced me to record the next episode where they make chicha, but I don't know about watching beyond that.

Oh, and I felt embarrassed for Sam during the rapping scenes...
jward

Post by jward »

It reminds me of the Man Show (when Kimmel and Carolla hosted). This is, it was 1/3 commercials, 1/3 unfunny waste of time, and 1/3 worthwhile stuff. I always like their best of... shows. 2/3 funny, 1/3 commercials which are easy to skip past. It's hard to skip the stupid parts the first time you see something. Somehow I doubt Calagione will edit a best of... show to feature the broken filler and glue spill which I agree were in better parts.