Sept. Meeting 9/21/10 7PM @ Addison HB Provisions/Fullerton

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

Are you coming to the Sept. 21st meeting?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:28 am

Absolutely! Yes!
48%
Hopefully...
33%
Shucks, cannot make it that night..
19%

Total votes: 21

backyard brewer

Re: Sept. Meeting 9/21/10 7PM @ Addison HB Provisions/Fullerton

Post by backyard brewer »

Great meeting. Some new faces, decent beers and Brad's Style Presentation was great.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Thanks for letting us invade your shop Eric. Great meeting, nice to meet some new folks (who brought some fine samples) and see some faces that haven't made it to a meeting in a while.

I will start another thread regarding this, but I wanted to make sure everyone knows the following: the 2011 Southern California Homebrewers Festival is on April 30. People arrive and camp on Friday and leave on Sunday. I have already taken the alcohol server certification and sent it the appropriate people. This means that we will be in the pool for the first round of reservations starting the week of Oct. 11. I need to know before Oct. 11 how many sites and what kind of sites (basic, tent, full hookups, etc) we need.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

It was a very good meeting, there were quite a few good beers. Those who brought beer to the meeting, if you don't mind sharing please put your recipes in the recipe database and let us know in the forum so we can associate the beer we tasted with the recipe.

I'll be posting my Saphir Pale Ale recipe when I get home. Here's Denny's RyePA recipe, which rex provided an excellent example of last night. I'd be curious to hear if he did anything different from this recipe.
rex

Post by rex »

Had a great time at the meeting last night - just formally paid my dues and joined up.

That Denny Conn Rye IPA I brewed is essentially the same malt/hop bill as the recipe posted here however the original recipe calls for Wyeast 1450 ("Denny's Favorite" - originally Brewtek CL-50). I couldn't get my hands on that so I used WLP051 ("Cali Ale V" - same as Wyeast 1272). This yeast is supposed to give the beer a richer mouthfeel than WLP001/1056/US-05 which I think it did but it's not quite as flocculant. I had krausen for 2 full weeks. It attenuated just as well as US-05 however.

I just posted the Black IPA recipe. I've made it twice - once with Pacman and once with US-05 - and got basically the same results. Dry hopping is key for that recipe.
-Dave
oc eric

Post by oc eric »

BrewMasterBrad wrote:Thanks for letting us invade your shop Eric. .
Anytime. Brewcommune is always welcome here.
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Definitely a great meeting! Again thanks to Brad for the demonstration, Eric for the site, Tim for the pizza run and everyone who could make it and share some homebrew with us all!
:cheers:
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
ocluke

Post by ocluke »

Shucks, I just noticed this. I guess I'll have to wait until the next one to meet you all...
Luke

MetaBrewing - A homebrewing blog documenting experiments with equipment, processes, recipes, hops, wild yeast, and whatever else happens to sneak its way in.