New taco / beer restaurant to open in Costa Mesa

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

bwarbiany

New taco / beer restaurant to open in Costa Mesa

Post by bwarbiany »

From the owners of Haven:

http://fastfood.ocregister.com/2010/08/ ... bar/70717/

It'll be down at "The Camp" in Costa Mesa, very near Valhalla Table.

Obviously it's a few months from opening, so I didn't want to put it in the "Reviews" section yet. But it sounds pretty interesting.
Brad
StarRaptor

Re: New taco / beer restaurant to open in Costa Mesa

Post by StarRaptor »

it sounds exactly like the Valhalla table concept only with tacos instead of sausages
rex

Post by rex »

Looks interesting but I bet it will cost twice as much as the gourmet style taco trucks (Kogi, Piaggio, etc.) and the tacos won't be as good. I'll definitely check it out when it opens however.
-Dave
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

rex wrote:Looks interesting but I bet it will cost twice as much as the gourmet style taco trucks (Kogi, Piaggio, etc.) and the tacos won't be as good. I'll definitely check it out when it opens however.
1) Yep, definitely going to be more expensive.
2) I'll hold of on quality until they open, but I think they're shooting for a pretty high mark.
3) Food trucks don't come to OC often.
4) THEY HAVE BEEEEEERRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

(Regarding #3, if any of these trucks do come down to south OC, let me know their twitter handles... So far I've only seen Barcelona on the Go and Crepes Bonaparte down here).
Brad
rex

Post by rex »

I'm in Irvine and the Kogi Naranja (Orange) truck comes here quite often. Kogi has multiple trucks and the Naranja is dedicated to Orange county:

http://kogibbq.com/

Looks like they're in Laguna Niguel tonight. If you guys haven't had Kogi check is out ASAP - it's killer food and definitely lives up to the hype. The quesadillas are the best.

Piaggio is also Orange County based. The only time I've tried them is at the Bruery. The food is good (not quite as good as Kogi but very good) but they are extremely slow. It took like 20 minutes to get our food when there was no line at all.

http://twitter.com/piaggioonwheels
-Dave
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

rex wrote:I'm in Irvine and the Kogi Naranja (Orange) truck comes here quite often. Kogi has multiple trucks and the Naranja is dedicated to Orange county:

http://kogibbq.com/

Looks like they're in Laguna Niguel tonight. If you guys haven't had Kogi check is out ASAP - it's killer food and definitely lives up to the hype. The quesadillas are the best.

Piaggio is also Orange County based. The only time I've tried them is at the Bruery. The food is good (not quite as good as Kogi but very good) but they are extremely slow. It took like 20 minutes to get our food when there was no line at all.

Okay, I'm following Kogi. The weird thing is their web site says Naranja will be at Meat Ave in Orange, and also says Town Center Laguna Niguel... Are there two Naranja trucks? (if we can figure it out, my wife might make a run over there as I'm drinking homebrew :) )

I'll check out Piaggio as well.

Thanks!
Brad
StarRaptor

Post by StarRaptor »

rex wrote: Piaggio is also Orange County based. The only time I've tried them is at the Bruery. The food is good (not quite as good as Kogi but very good) but they are extremely slow. It took like 20 minutes to get our food when there was no line at all.

They are determinately not fast. Had them last night at the Bruery with Marshall and it took 15 minutes for 2 chicken tacos

On an other note the Bruery's Humulus Lager dry hopped with Simcoe, holy shit is it good! Completely redeemed lagers for me.

I'm going to have to figure out a recipe for this one. Any suggestions?
oc eric

Post by oc eric »

StarRaptor wrote:
On an other note the Bruery's Humulus Lager dry hopped with Simcoe, holy shit is it good! Completely redeemed lagers for me.
+1

Cheers Tavis and Tyler
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway
rex

Post by rex »

StarRaptor wrote:
rex wrote: Piaggio is also Orange County based. The only time I've tried them is at the Bruery. The food is good (not quite as good as Kogi but very good) but they are extremely slow. It took like 20 minutes to get our food when there was no line at all.

They are determinately not fast. Had them last night at the Bruery with Marshall and it took 15 minutes for 2 chicken tacos

I'm going to have to figure out a recipe for this one. Any suggestions?

Yeah, the speed of service for Piaggio is embarassingly slow compared to Kogi and the food isn't quite as good either. Kogi has such a massive following that they have to be fast, and they are.

That humulus gold is my favorite beer that the Bruery has put out - my last growler fill of it went quickly.
-Dave
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

bwarbiany wrote:Okay, I'm following Kogi. The weird thing is their web site says Naranja will be at Meat Ave in Orange, and also says Town Center Laguna Niguel... Are there two Naranja trucks? (if we can figure it out, my wife might make a run over there as I'm drinking homebrew :) )

I'll check out Piaggio as well.

Thanks!
Kogi has two Orange County trucks now Naranja and Rosita, I think they post the schedule for both as Naranja.

We have a truck come every day during the weekend Fri-Sun here at The Bruery. I know Bootlegger's Brewery started doing the same thing and they are open Thurs-Sun. There is your chance to try a lot of them. Both of us update our websites regularly with who is coming and what's on tap too.
Kevin