New Homebrew shop in Fullerton

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

oc eric

Re: New Homebrew shop in Fullerton

Post by oc eric »

jward wrote:Good luck. I hope it all works out. Did you sign?
Yes!

1328 E. Orangethorpe Ave
Fullerton, CA 92831

Sign goes up next week. Hope to have inventory in a couple of weeks. Sooooooooo busy. :cheers:
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway
BrewDale77

Post by BrewDale77 »

Congrats Eric! So are you hiring?
Purse Perfection in a Pint
jimmyjames

Post by jimmyjames »

First of all… Congrats and Good luck!

Some things I’ve been thinking about. I’ve been to handful of homebrew stores and can make some comments. Interested or not, here they are.

Service is key. Don’t assume people know what they’re doing when they walk in. I’ve been home brewing for couple years now and still am confused when I walk into a new homebrew store. Seems to me that nearly every homebrew store has different policies/ procedures / rules for obtaining grains and hops. Some are serve-yourself, some are pre-packaged, some are tell us and we’ll get it for you, and some i never figured out.

I felt lectured once at a serve yourself place, even though I asked for instructions they never mentioned the “minimum hop purchase” rule. They showed me how to measure out and package my hops, so I did. But when I tried to check out with my 0.75 oz the guy gave me crap because it didn’t meet their minimum purchase rule for hops. He told me he “would let it slide this time” like he was doing me a favor. I have not been back there since. These are the things you need to be clear about. Like I said everywhere is different so be clear about the procedures.

Unless you really know the brewer, ask them if they need help, and if it’s their first visit offer a tour.

Samples of homebrew…. I’m not sure about the legal issues here, but samples are a nice touch especially for those potential customers who have never homebrewed before. Some places make it a mystery unless you’re familiar with the place. I remember my very first trip to a LHBS before I was even a brewer, and they offered me a sample. That’s what sold me on the hobby. I’ve NEVER been offered a sample at anywhere since, though I seem to see plenty of regulars help themselves. Always make me feel excluded from the group when samples are going around and I’m not offered any from the staff.

Wow… feels good to get some of this off my shoulders. Ha ha... See you in May! :cheers:
oc eric

Post by oc eric »

jimmyjames wrote:First of all… Congrats and Good luck!

Some things I’ve been thinking about. I’ve been to handful of homebrew stores and can make some comments. Interested or not, here they are.

Service is key. Don’t assume people know what they’re doing when they walk in. I’ve been home brewing for couple years now and still am confused when I walk into a new homebrew store. Seems to me that nearly every homebrew store has different policies/ procedures / rules for obtaining grains and hops. Some are serve-yourself, some are pre-packaged, some are tell us and we’ll get it for you, and some i never figured out.

I felt lectured once at a serve yourself place, even though I asked for instructions they never mentioned the “minimum hop purchase” rule. They showed me how to measure out and package my hops, so I did. But when I tried to check out with my 0.75 oz the guy gave me crap because it didn’t meet their minimum purchase rule for hops. He told me he “would let it slide this time” like he was doing me a favor. I have not been back there since. These are the things you need to be clear about. Like I said everywhere is different so be clear about the procedures.

Unless you really know the brewer, ask them if they need help, and if it’s their first visit offer a tour.

Samples of homebrew…. I’m not sure about the legal issues here, but samples are a nice touch especially for those potential customers who have never homebrewed before. Some places make it a mystery unless you’re familiar with the place. I remember my very first trip to a LHBS before I was even a brewer, and they offered me a sample. That’s what sold me on the hobby. I’ve NEVER been offered a sample at anywhere since, though I seem to see plenty of regulars help themselves. Always make me feel excluded from the group when samples are going around and I’m not offered any from the staff.

Wow… feels good to get some of this off my shoulders. Ha ha... See you in May! :cheers:
Jimmy-

I have had the same experiences at LHBS before. I feel your pain. I hope to be a different kind of homebrew shop. An open dialogue like this is key for excellent customer service. Feel free to talk with me anytime about your experiences in Addison's Homebrew Provisions. I like to hear about the good as well as the bad ;-)
backhousebrew

Post by backhousebrew »

Eric,
Can you tell us the name yet?
How about a website?
I would like to post a link to your website from mine.
You must be overloaded with work, trying to get ready to open.
Do you need any volunteer help?
Success of your new shop will benefit us all.
Don
Drink Good Beer!
oc eric

Post by oc eric »

backhousebrew wrote:Eric,
Can you tell us the name yet?
How about a website?
I would like to post a link to your website from mine.
You must be overloaded with work, trying to get ready to open.
Do you need any volunteer help?
Success of your new shop will benefit us all.
Don
Thanks Don. Swamped with work and sick to boot!
Answers:
Addison Homebrew Provisions - 1328 E. Orangethorpe Ave. Fullerton, CA 92831
www.homebrewprovisions.com - placeholder page - website is in development
Sure, link my site to yours. Thanks!
Wow! I haven't found a display frig yet, so I need help moving two friges from my house to the shop. I have a truck, just need some muscle.
I'll do my best to earn your patronage.
backhousebrew

Post by backhousebrew »

I'm available this Friday.
How much do they weigh approx?
Drink Good Beer!