March Meeting Tuesday 3/16/10 @ Oggi's in Tustin

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

Are you attending the March Meeting (3/16/10) @ Oggi's in Tustin?

Definite yes!
57%
Definite no, bummed about it too..
14%
Hopefully... but cannot commit just yet.
29%

Total votes: 14

BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Re: March Meeting Tuesday 3/16/10 @ Oggi's in Tustin

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I uploaded my Cal Common and both Kolsch recipes to the database.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
oc eric

Post by oc eric »

brahn wrote: I also forgot yeast nutrient and the beer finished at 1.016 this time.
Does the yeast nutrient help the wort finish at a lower gravity?
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Well, it keeps the yeast healthier, and unhealthy or insufficient yeast is one cause of a high FG.
Oskaar

Post by Oskaar »

brahn wrote:Well, it keeps the yeast healthier, and unhealthy or insufficient yeast is one cause of a high FG.
Right. When your yeast are struggling for O2 (see my recent post in the mead thread) you'll have a ferment that is more prone to stop before the yeast fully attenuates. and takes your wort to the desired finishing gravity/plato readings. Be sure to get some nutrient into your fermentation the first couple of days and also add O2 during the first 48 hours of fermentation about two to three times for the reasons I state in my earlier post.

Wort is more nutrient rich than grape must or honey must, but, it still benefits from additional nitrogen content and O2 additions. Don't worry about oxidation during this stage of fermentation as the off-gassing is so strong that it will negate possible oxidative or reductive effects on flavor and aroma.

Cheers,

Oskaar
Don't go into the Pimped-Out-Refrigerator Jack!
tylking
Pro Brewer

Post by tylking »

Don't forget about the benefit of Zinc! A healthy ferment is the biggest factor in making good beer, a poor ferment can lead to many off-flavors (very common in most homebrews)
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

The March meeting at Oggi's went off really well!

We saw several new faces, and plenty of regulars. I had not been to Oggi's before, and the location worked out really well! The $2.50 pints were a nice treat to get things started, and their pizza was (IMHO) superb!

I am glad we took an extra moment to talk about the various homebrews that were passed around. Getting that chance to ask a question or two about ingredients, style or technique, while sampling the beer, was awesome! Lots of good inspirations for future brewing sessions!

Brad did a great job telling us about Hybrid beer styles. Kolsh, Calif. Common, etc. It was my first time tasting a Kolsh, and I liked it! Both of Brad's recipes were real tasty! Thank you Brad!

We also has a couple of mead styles make it around the room. It seems we have enough folks interested in meadmaking, to take Oskaar up on his suggestion for a mead-making day sometime soon! ;) That would be very cool!

Thanks to everyone for attending, contributing & make the meeting a success!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

lexuschris wrote:...Brad did a great job telling us about Hybrid beer styles. Kolsh, Calif. Common, etc. It was my first time tasting a Kolsh, and I liked it! Both of Brad's recipes were real tasty! Thank you Brad!...
Brad is a VERY good brewer. Hopefully we'll be fortunate enough to have Brad's own beers to match the style he is presenting in the future. The grain bills he outlined were only slightly different yet the flavor between the two Kolsch batches was quite noticable.

For those of you lurking, stop by the next meeting. Brad's presentations are worth coming out from behind your avatar for. :D

And thanks for setting up the new venue Chris!
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Brad is a VERY good brewer.
Gosh Derrin, you're making me blush. :oops:

Just imagine how good my beer will taste when I start fermenting in a sanke keg fermenter.

My plan is to actually present on the styles I have on hand, that makes it easy to decide which styles to present at the meetings.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
SCBeerDude

Post by SCBeerDude »

backyard brewer wrote:
For those of you lurking, stop by the next meeting. Brad's presentations are worth coming out from behind your avatar for. :D
8)
oc eric

Post by oc eric »

I heard there was another great tasting Kolsch there, from an up and coming brewer... :mrgreen:
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway