Homebrew and Headaches

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

oc eric

Homebrew and Headaches

Post by oc eric »

I have two friends that claim they get headaches after drinking beer that I made. I read this article: http://weeklywire.com/ww/01-04-99/tw_chow.html which says that fermenting at too high a temp or not storing the beer cold can produce Fussel alcohols that can cause headaches. That sounds like a good enough answer, but does anyone have any additional information?

Thx
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway
maltbarley

Re: Homebrew and Headaches

Post by maltbarley »

I think brew captain once wrote about this but you might not be able to find the post.
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Jon Image
Oskaar

Post by Oskaar »

Fusel oils can be produced from a ferment that is conducted at a temperature in a range that is above the comfort zone of the yeast. This is true especially in the summertime here in So Cal if the fermentation temperature is not managed. Also bear in mind that for every 1 degree drop in brix during fermentation, 2.3 degrees of temperature are produced. Monitoring both the ambient temperature around your fermentation vessel, as well as the liquid being fermented inside gives you a good idea of what possible temperature issues you may encounter as your fermentation progresses. Generally this is not an issue in a 30 gallon vessel or smaller, but as the vessel grows, so does the potential for heat buildup. If the level of the fermentation climbs above the threshold of the yeast, your fermentation will stall early and stop.

Another way fusel oils are produced is by "step-feeding." This is when you add fermentable sugars during the active portion of primary fermentation and the yeast are forced to adapt to a new osmotic pressure level over and over as the additional sugars are added in steps.
Don't go into the Pimped-Out-Refrigerator Jack!
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

Honey can also produce some wicked fusel alcohols when fermented too warm. I make a honey pale ale pretty regular that has a lot of honey in it. Before I could control fermentation temps I made a batch about this time of year. Much like this year, we were hit with a heat spell and the beer fermented at about 74 instead of the 67-68 it should have. I served the result at a party and the guests were very happy. Until the next day that is. The few that could get to a phone and work it called and cussed me out up one side and down the other wondering what I'd done to them. A few wouldn't touch my beer again for years.

So yeah, fusel alcohols can be brutal!