Head First

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

kbm

Head First

Post by kbm »

My friend and I have been talking about getting into home brewing for a while. We recently decided to jump head first and purchase a ten gallon all grain system. I was hoping I could connect with a local (I'm in Old Town Orange) home brewer who be willing to help my friend and I through our first few batches.

Of course we have been studying and we're not planning on brewing until we feel we have a sufficient handle on the process but it would be great someone would hold our hands the first couple times. I have plenty of delicious beers for anyone gracious enough to help us out.
bwarbiany

Re: Head First

Post by bwarbiany »

Wow. Aggressive!

But I think it'll work out. Very little in brewing is all that "hard", it's just a matter of getting a basic understanding of what you're doing, why, and building on it over time. All-grain adds a few wrinkles to the process, but they're mostly mechanical.

Beyond all that, remember two things:

1) Sanitation.
2) Fermentation temp.

Minor issues in your all-grain process will end up giving you a beer that tastes a little different than planned. Screwing up sanitation or fermentation temp can ruin your beer and give you all sorts of nasty off flavors.
Brad
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Congratz on the purchase and welcome to the boards. If you are looking for some local brewers I doubt you could get more local than this group.

Cheers! :happybeer:
Jon Image
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

kbm ... welcome!

If you have a chance, I would encourage you to attend the January club meeting and get to know a few of the guys (last I knew, you do not need to be a member to attend). Brewing opportunities will abound!

Of course, you need to read and re-read Palmer to give you a great head-start. Getting a hands-on lesson is highly recommended ... it will save you countless hours and grief (never mind saving a helpless beer or two).

Be sure to keep us appraised of your progress and don't be afraid to ask lots of questions here.

Dan
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Greetings Kbm!

Welcome to the boards! I'm sure you'll find lots of good info, advice & help from the folks here. Try to make the meeting on the 19th in Placentia (see this post in the 'Events' forum )

--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

welcome to the obsession. your best bet is to hook up with someone here the next time they brew. that way no one is trying to learn a system and show you the ropes. im not sure when im brewing again but im in orange.

what system did you buy?
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

bwarbiany wrote:Wow. Aggressive!

But I think it'll work out. Very little in brewing is all that "hard", it's just a matter of getting a basic understanding of what you're doing, why, and building on it over time. All-grain adds a few wrinkles to the process, but they're mostly mechanical.

Beyond all that, remember two things:

1) Sanitation.
2) Fermentation temp.

Minor issues in your all-grain process will end up giving you a beer that tastes a little different than planned. Screwing up sanitation or fermentation temp can ruin your beer and give you all sorts of nasty off flavors.
+1

I'm with Brad on this one. These two tips are probably the most important factors imo - expecially since you're starting out with 10 gallons.

Good call on checking with this board first :) We have tons of excellent brewers who are more than willing to help out. Attend a meeting, read Palmers book, hook up with someone on a brewday - these are all great ideas to help you get started right.
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
kbm

Post by kbm »

Thank you for all the encouraging responses and advice. I will definitely try to attend a meeting.

Brew Captain - I'd love to sit in on a session. I don't know that I will be able to make it on a Wednesday but let me know anyway, I might be able to work something out.

Backyard Brewer - Let me know when you brew again. I bought this guy's rig: http://forums.morebeer.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=35971. He gave my friend and I a great deal. This was a much bigger rig than I initially envisioned (although I knew I wanted to start out with all grain) but I figure it's a great deal and if I get really into it, I would eventually want to upgrade to something similar and if I don't have a knack for the hobby, I can easily resell for what I paid for it.

I can't wait to get started!
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Nice, did you get all the kegging equipment too? I think I recall seeing that setup on craigslist too.

If you don't need the 3 gallon kegs, I would be interested in them as SWMBO is not really in favor of a keggerator, although I might be able to sneak one of those in the fridge.
Jon Image
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

Nice score, sucks to be that guy though!
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Damn that's a fine rig!

So what are you going to ferment in? Looks like it doesn't include a fermenter. For your first batch(es), I recommend you put the fermenter(s) in your kegerator to control temp.

BTW my bro-in-law and I will brew the weekend of Jan 24 if I can get everything put together in time. We brew at his place in Yorba Linda, and you can definitely get a good look at the all-grain process.
Brad
oc eric

Post by oc eric »

backyard brewer wrote:Nice score, sucks to be that guy though!
What a nightmare for a brewer! Let alone how hard it will be to change his diet. :(
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway
oc eric

Post by oc eric »

I am a recent convert to all-grain brewing myself. From my experience, there is ABSOLUTELY nothing more helpful in straightening out that learning curve than sitting in on a couple of all-grain brew sessions. Bring a pen and paper, jot notes, and ask questions. For me, there were lots and lots of "little" things that add up to the difference between excellent beer and something that tastes like dirty socks.

Try to make it to Brew Captain's on Wed (God willing) or some of the other guys that are being very generous with their time. You won't find people anywhere else, but on this board, so willing to help a new brewer.

I may be doing a weekend brew for another guy looking to get into all-grain sometime in January. I'll post an invite if it happens. I am in Buena Park.

Welcome to the addiction :twisted:
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway
kbm

Post by kbm »

Update:

OCEric graciously invited me to observe his brewing prowess back in January (turns out we had much more than beer in common). Since then I've read a few books, listened to more podcasts than I can count and brewed two all grain batches: a Bell's Two Hearted Ale clone and a Wee Heavy. I am finally drinking the THA clone and it's wonderful IMHO. I moved the Wee Heavy to the kegs tonight and it's tasting perfect. I can't wait for it to carbonate and condition.

Of course, now every free dollar is now marked for the next brewing gadget.

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. My only regret is that I didn't start brewing sooner.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

kbm wrote:Update:

OCEric graciously invited me to observe his brewing prowess back in January (turns out we had much more than beer in common). Since then I've read a few books, listened to more podcasts than I can count and brewed two all grain batches: a Bell's Two Hearted Ale clone and a Wee Heavy. I am finally drinking the THA clone and it's wonderful IMHO. I moved the Wee Heavy to the kegs tonight and it's tasting perfect. I can't wait for it to carbonate and condition.

Of course, now every free dollar is now marked for the next brewing gadget.

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. My only regret is that I didn't start brewing sooner.
Congrats! So what are you brewing for the SoCal Homebrew Festival? :cheers:
Brad