日本の生ビッル (Japanese draft beer)

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

JonGoku

日本の生ビッル (Japanese draft beer)

Post by JonGoku »

To preface this post for those who may not know, I lived in Japan from 4th grade through 12th, am married to a Japanese girl, work for a Japanese company, my parents still live in Japan, I go to Japan at least once or twice a year for business or vacation, and well for all intensive purpose fit the "egg" description better than any anime loving, yellow fevered white boy I know. Not that I deny either of those last two, but still you get my point, I'm as yellow on the inside as I'm white on the out.

There are some interesting facts about Japan and their beer culture though which I find very interesting. Such as:
1. Most Japanese beers are variations of American Lagers or German Pilsners , although in my opinion they are at least a step or two above any BMC.

2. Japanese people (tourist and business folk) will almost always order a Budweiser when visiting the states. I think it has something to do with "When in Rome do as the Romans do". Hopefully most still have their rose colored glasses (or taste buds) on and so are not immediately offended.

3. Japanese respect the head/foam, and considered a perfect pour to be 5/7 beer and 2/7 foam.

4. Japanese draft taps pull forward and backwards. Forward delivers beer with as little foam as possible and back delivers beer that is almost pure foam. This foam is made up of very fine bubbles and is very smooth and silky in texture and wonderfully tasty. The Japanese draft system or "Beer Server" as they call it is unique to Japan as far as I can tell, and I've only seen one Japanese restaurant in the states that claims to have one.

5. Japanese have canned beer vending machines on the streets and in hotels (although their numbers are decreasing due to stricter regulations), and they even have draft beer vending machines in such places like Airport Lobbies, Self serve style restaurants, pool halls, etc. See the YouTube clips below. Note the nice head.
Draft Beer Vending Machine 1
Draft Beer Vending Machine 2

6. The legal age for drinking Alcohol in Japan is 20 although it is hardly enforced, and would be difficult regardless as a majority of Japanese people do not have drivers licenses and there is no other official ID that could be used to prove age. I remember buying a bottle of Suntory Whiskey from a liquor store when I was 14, and that was only because they didn't have vending machines for Whiskey.

7. Due to taxes on beer, beer is ridiculously expensive in Japan (6-pack of canned beer = $12-$13). Beer is defined as an alcoholic beverage with more than 67% malt content. Read this wikipedia article on Hopposhu for details if your interested, however what the tax code has essentially done is create a market for a subset of cheaper "Fake Beers" which IMHO gives BMC a run for their money in the race for the "Not so Tasty" category. To make matters worse is the labeling is not immediately evident, so if you ever find yourself in a store in Japan and find some ridiculously cheap beer, think twice. Essentially for a lot of consumers, they make this sacrifice due to cost and Happoshu has become the "Table Beer" they have at home.

8. For most dinner meetings or after work but work related events, beer is always served first and a "compai" or Toast is given. I'd say 90-95% of the time there is no actual toast speach, only "Compai" followed by "Otsukaresame desu" which is difficult to translate but which is a salutation that sums up the fact that someone has put in some effort for a job or chore and deserves a thank you. After the first beer or two, people generally start to drink what they like, which could be Sake, or Shochu (Soju), more beer, etc.

9. Japanese like their gadgets. Japanese Canned Beer Pouring Robot

Well I know this is more of a blog type post, but please post your own Japanese culture oddities or beer culture oddities you've noticed or have always wanted an answer to.

Compai! :cheers:
Jon Image
maltbarley

Re: 日本の生ビッル (Japanese draft beer)

Post by maltbarley »

Domo Jon-san, that was interesting.

Having hosted various colleagues from Japan over the years, I second that they will order a Bud or Heineken over an Asahi when they are here.
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

maltbarley wrote:Domo Jon-san, that was interesting.

Having hosted various colleagues from Japan over the years, I second that they will order a Bud or Heineken over an Asahi when they are here.
I have been working to change that 1 beer at a time.

BTW you touched on a personal irk I have with Japanese (or my parents whichever way you want to look at it). It is extremely impolite to introduce yourself in Japan with the "san" part or honorific at the end of your own name (i.e. "Hi my name is Daniel-san"). With Japanese forcing all foreign words/names/etc into their own tightly defined phonetics, Jonathan is pronounced as 'jo-na-san'. To Japanese ears this is a stupid foreigner called Jonah adding their own honorific 'san' to the end of their own name. On the other hand, those who do understand and call me Jo-na-san-san drive me nutts since they sound like stuttering morons. Due to the above, when growing up in my neighborhood in Japan, I went by the nickname Jonah, or Jimmy (random American name some Japanese boy called me which stuck. I assume it was easy to remember as there was a Japanese comedian named Jimmy Onishi, although the comparison is not very flattering. For random humor check out this LINK, Jimmy is the guy trying to do English. Japanese TV rocks btw!)

Cheers!

P.S. Other random trivia...John/Jon is one of the most popular names to give a pet Dog in Japan. I am essentially the Fido of Japan. :shock:
Jon Image
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I know there's at least one brewer doing something other than pale lager in Japan. I had the Hitachino Nest Classic Ale a year or so ago. I found it more interesting than good, too much cedar for me. I'd like to try some of the other brews in their lineup though.
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

I think Stone is distributing some of Hitachino's brews. I tried to find a list of the beers Stone helps distribute, but couldn't find one.
Jon Image
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

JonGoku wrote:P.S. Other random trivia...John/Jon is one of the most popular names to give a pet Dog in Japan. I am essentially the Fido of Japan. :shock:
That is hilarious! Although I've yet to meet a dog named Fido anywhere .. ;)

Thanks for sharing the cool tidbits on Japanese culture! While I pegged you for an egg awhile back, I had no idea that you lived there for most of your formative years. Lucky!!

I am a bit of an egg too. Took a few years of Japanese in college, although lack of use has rendered me a good-natured laugh at the sushi bar! I always enjoyed the cultural aspect of learning the Japanese language. Would have been fantastic to live in Japan a few years. Would have done so after college except I met my wife (who is Vietnamese) and stayed in the US. So again, 'Lucky!'

Jaa mata...
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
jward

Post by jward »

lexuschris wrote:I am a bit of an egg too.
I never heard of the egg thing, but my Asian friends have lots of banana comments. :)