malting barley at home

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

trex

malting barley at home

Post by trex »

can any body help need to know how to malt barley at home
backyard brewer

Re: malting barley at home

Post by backyard brewer »

Welcome to the board!

First, read the section in Palmer about how grain is malted, it should help. As I understand it, you would soak the grain for about 24 hours and then drain it. You need to spread it out so that it doesn't mold, mildew or rot. Watch the kernels for germination, once the rootlet is the length of the kernel, you'll kiln the grain in your oven to dry it out. The longer and cooler you dry it, the lighter the malt will be. If you want to make crystal malt, then hold it at conversion temperature for a portion of the kilning.

Once it's dry, it's usually tumbled so the rootlets will break off and then they are separated.
trex

Post by trex »

thank you that will help. i built a grow chamber testing it out but what you are saying might be better the climate here in durban SA might work better
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

trex wrote:thank you that will help. i built a grow chamber testing it out but what you are saying might be better the climate here in durban SA might work better
Oh wow, you're in South Africa? I think you'd officially be our longest distance board user.
trex

Post by trex »

thanks for the link it will help my home built grow chamber did not work so well ended up drying out the barley to quikley and it went moldy