Hi

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

Shawn

Hi

Post by Shawn »

Hey everyone, just discovered this forum and noticed many of you are from southern cali. I lived in San Diego for awhile where I brewed my first handful of batches, but haven't brewed since I moved back up to OC a couple years ago - now I got the itch and some dusty equipment that needs cleaning. I just wanted to say hello and ask where the nearest homebrew shop is... I've seen O'shea's from the freeway but I'm curious if there is anything closer to Tustin.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to brushing up on my brewing knowledge
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

Welcome to the board Shawn!

Zymurguy is right off the 22 and Valley View and is the closest shop in OC. BrianC is a club member and the owner of this new brew shop and he is a very nice guy with great prices. BrewCommune members receive a 10% discount as well. There are a lot of excellent brewers in this club as well as top notch mead maker! Hopefully you can get a chance to attend one of the brewdays or meetings. Everyone I've met from this club have been really nice, down to earth guys.

Hope you enjoy it here!
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Welcome Shawn,
Close and homebrew shop have never been used in any of my sentences. I work in Irvine and will go to O'Shea in a pinch, but that can be a costly trip. As Rezzin says, Zymurguy is the closest (real) homebrew supply. Also, since O'Shea focuses on keg sales, it's not common to find someone working there (except Jeff) that knows about brewing.

Anyway, dust off that equipment, brew some beer and get to know the good folks on here. Some of them are even stocked like a homebrew shop.
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

O'sheas is charging over $4 an OUNCE for hops. He does refill CO2 tanks though for $10...

Cheers!
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Welcome Shawn:

Hope to see you here frequently!

Dan
spkrtoy

Post by spkrtoy »

Welcome Shawn,

If you find yourself in need of something related to brewing, I probably have at least 1 extra of it. I live in Orange, and hopefully will have a brewday here sometime soon.
Cheers,
Lyn
Everybody has the right to be stupid. Some people abuse the privilege.

I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it.
What I don't Know Far out weighs what I do.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

I live in Dana Point, within 5 minutes of O'Shea.

I'll shop there for rare beers when I'm in the area, or for must-have homebrew ingredients/etc when I need something immediately and can't wait.

Outside of that, the place is far too expensive for homebrewing stuff. Given that you're farther north, I recommend Zymurguy (Garden Grove) or Steinfillers (north edge of Long Beach).

Zymurguy is closer, and he's a member of the board, so I recommend giving him your business when you can. However, he's new, so there may be times where he doesn't have what you need (and depending on how quickly you need it, may not be able to order in time). If you can't get something from Zymurguy, Steinfiller's has a pretty extensive collection (particularly for some of the equipment end).
Brad
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Welcome Shawn! I live in Tustin too and I'd say that Zymurguy and O'Shea's are about the same distance from us. Zymurguy's got much better service and prices, but I do occasionally make the trip to O'Shea's for something he doesn't have. That list is shrinking as he builds up his inventory.

Brent
Shawn

Post by Shawn »

Outstanding info, thanks to everyone - I'll make a trip to one of the stores this weekend, good to hear from you all and I look forward to getting started again. Is there anything I need to know about what the two stores have (or more importantly don't have) as far as recipe formulation?
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

Shawn wrote:Outstanding info, thanks to everyone - I'll make a trip to one of the stores this weekend, good to hear from you all and I look forward to getting started again. Is there anything I need to know about what the two stores have (or more importantly don't have) as far as recipe formulation?
If you email Zymurguy ahead of time with what you need, he'll let you know what he has. That can save you some time and hassle.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Shawn wrote:Outstanding info, thanks to everyone - I'll make a trip to one of the stores this weekend, good to hear from you all and I look forward to getting started again. Is there anything I need to know about what the two stores have (or more importantly don't have) as far as recipe formulation?
You can also check out Zymurguy.com to see what is in stock. I'm getting a bag of Vienna and a Bag of Premium 2-row today as a matter of fact!

Dan
nico soze

Re: Hi

Post by nico soze »

I just drove up and down valley view for an hour. I can't find zymurguy. My gps says its right in the bridge. I give up.
lexuschris

Re: Hi - Homebrew shops?

Post by lexuschris »

I started off reading this thread going ,, 'Zymurgy? where?' .. .then realized those posts were in 2008.. Maybe the recession got them..

Currently, I go to Addison Homebrew Provisions in Fullerton. Just head up the 5 to the 57. Then 91 west to East St/Raymond exit. Exit freeway, turn right. Then right at Orangethorpe. Addison is the little business park just past that corner gas station on the right.

I live in Irvine, and its about 15-min each way on weekend. Midweek, the 57 traffic can be tough. I've gone over the toll road, to come in on the 91 west, and that worked out great....

Eric is a club member and runs the shop, taking really GREAT care of us! Also has plenty of brew events going on during the month.

Happy brewing!
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

nico soze wrote:I just drove up and down valley view for an hour. I can't find zymurguy. My gps says its right in the bridge. I give up.
Sadly, Zymurguy didn't survive. Brian, who started the store, is still a regular member here.
Brad
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

bwarbiany wrote:Sadly, Zymurguy didn't survive. Brian, who started the store, is still a regular member here.
In fact, he happens to be the club Secretary (right Brian?).