New here - join he club?

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

doremi

New here - join he club?

Post by doremi »

Hi,

I am also new here, in this community and in CA.

This club is a real great idea, wonderful. And many of you are in the neighborhood. Hopefully I will have the chance to meet you.

As I understood the club is more than a forum and helping online each other, what is already a nice move. You also buy ingredients together and get better prices. Good idea.

WHen do you go for the nxt purchase? I already need wheat and hop, I am thirsty.
Online I saw wheat, 55 lb, for about 65 USD or e.g.
(
Gambrinus Organic Pilsner Malt, 55 Lb. Sack
List Price $60.00
Our Price $51.00
)
Is this the best we can get???

And if somebody has a hint where to get cheap equipment, just drop me a line here.
(Since I left a big part of my equipment in my old place I need many stuff. )

Regards from a new neighbor
Peer
bwarbiany

Re: New here - join he club?

Post by bwarbiany »

We've negotiated a club discount with morebeer in Riverside, and Patrick (club member and proprietor of The Bruery in Placentia) is opening a homebrew store and I believe will probably offer a discount.

Outside of that, the group buys are somewhat rare... We did grain quite a long time ago, and just did hops, but typically your best bet for grain (currently) is morebeer in Riverside -- good prices and we get a 10% discount.
Brad
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

I would imagine that The Bruery Provisions could facilitate group grain buys in a similar fashion as Zymurguy did when the time is right. The most grain we ever picked up in a single purchase was 2000 lbs (including a 1000# super sack of 2-row). The problem is that one just never knows when somebody in the club is going to say, "group _______ buy anyone?". So far as equipment goes, we have also split up group equipment buys when somebody was getting out of the hobby (that is how I got my bitchin motorized Glatt mill - thanks Dan!). Again it is just a matter of timing to get in on a buy.

So far a joining the club - is it worth the $20 you ask? Well, at our meetings we sample and discuss commercial beer examples from all over the globe (Style Focus). The extra commercial beers are raffled off to the membership via a lame attempt of a game show style quiz after we are done with the style presentation. That alone is probably worth the membership fee over the course of the year just for the free beer. It looks like we are going to settle down and meet regularly at the new Bruery Provisions homebrew shop, but we have been known to meet at pubs all over town (Steelhead, Backstreet, Alcatraz, Taps, The Bruery, and so on). Also, as we have a bunch of very experienced brewers in our ranks you get a chance to sample some of the best homebrew offerings in existence. Every other month a club member hosts a club brew day at their home. These are great opportunities to see how other people brew and a chance to see the all grain process if you are inclined to adapt that brewing method in the near future. Yes there is a section on the board that is "club only" where we discuss matters at a somewhat more personal level that the we would in the public forums. Reading all our personal babblings has little value so don't join just for that!!! Not a Hemingway amongst us except for maybe Oskaar (where has Oskaar been lately anyway???).

Anyway, it really is a great club if your expectations aren't too high. We have a growing membership of "interesting" people from all walks of life (I say people instead of guys now because we now have a dues paying female in our ranks - hi Sprout!). I am kidding because a lot of the guys are brave enough to bring their wives to the meetings and events. Generally though these are ladies who encourage their husbands to brew their own beer and who drink beer themselves (a truly small and coveted percentage of women on the earth). In the end though it is a lot of fun and a great way to accelerate your understanding of homebrewing. :beer:

Cheers!
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Welcome!

+1 for what BC posted ... Hope to see you as a member and at a club meeting / brewday!

Dan
kevinham

Post by kevinham »

Welcome.
Kevin
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Welcome to the boards and to the area. What city do you call home?
Jon Image
doremi

Post by doremi »

That is what I call a active and nice forum,
thanxs to all.

Yes, I will join the club, I can not miss that.

I guess by the end of this week I better visit more beer in Riverside, I do not want to go out of practice.
I am just relocated from old Germany to Torrance/PV, unlimited... lol.

Hopefully I will be around and not busy when the clubs strikes again..

Peer
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

Welcome to the board!
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

doremi wrote:That is what I call a active and nice forum,
thanxs to all.

Yes, I will join the club, I can not miss that.

I guess by the end of this week I better visit more beer in Riverside, I do not want to go out of practice.
I am just relocated from old Germany to Torrance/PV, unlimited... lol.

Hopefully I will be around and not busy when the clubs strikes again..

Peer
Coming back from overseas, no wonder you had to leave some equipment behind. How long have you been brewing your own beer? What are your favorite types of beer to brew?

The place has yet to be confirmed, however our next club meeting is on 5/12.
Jon Image
Marotte Brewery

Post by Marotte Brewery »

And to clarify for our European member 5/12 means May 12th, not December 5th!!! :cheers:

Welcome to the board.
doremi

Post by doremi »

JonGoku,

I left many things back there. I just brought some equipment I better have with me.
I never had that much stuff, it was always more fun than science. Usually I "cooked" about 5 gallons. First I bottled it always, than I changed and put it into keg's (draft beer). It's easier and faster.

I make Lager and Pilsener beer, that's my favorites. The wheat I used was from a house-brewery which uses organic and natural ingredients only. The gave me the yeast (liquid) for free since I know the brewer (after a while). That yeast makes a really special taste, everybody loved it.

Marotte Brewery,
;-) , thank you for the hint . lol

In what area this will be (around), just to schedule it...

Friday I want to go to morebeer in Riverside. Hopefully the discount of the membership (join the club) will apply already.

See you
Peer
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Peer:

Once you're a member here, I think that BrewCommune will need to transmit the list to MoreBeer (but I could be wrong) ... JWard may know ... a call from Brewmaster Brad (Club Pres) may also suffice. Rob (the manager at the Riverside store) is pretty cool ... in fact I stopped into the MoreBeer in Palo Alto and chatted up the proprietor and he gave me the club discount too ... I do like the Morebeer staff. It is real easy to pay for your club membership from the discount ... I think I've paid my membership forward for a few years :happybeer: .

Dan
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Will you be coming to the SoCal Homebrew Fest? It is this weekend, so rather short notice, but it's a pretty good time...
Brad
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Do you have a link for more info about the SoCal Homebrew fest?
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Here you go:

http://www.calhomebrewers.org/

It is a lot of fun. I wish I could be there this weekend instead of sitting in class. :)