Does North Orange County need a LHBS ?

This is an open forum to discuss all things that just might be on your mind.

Moderators: Post Moderators, Cheers Moderator

Does North Orange County need a LHBS?

Yes
62%
No
19%
I have no idea!
19%

Total votes: 21

bwarbiany

Re: Does North Orange County need a LHBS ?

Post by bwarbiany »

I think South OC needs a LHBS. All we have is O'Shea, and they could use some pricing competition...

Come to think of it, that probably would put both of them out of business!

I think North OC doesn't need it quite as much, because you're moderately close to Steinfillers (Long Beach) and B3 (Riverside). Both places are large and very well-stocked, so it would be tough to compete.
backyard brewer wrote:One other thing that was never really mentioned by Kevin at BP are the regulations faced inOC. They were forced to get rid of any open grain containers unless they purchased a "packaging and Processing License" This forced them to break down all the specialty grain into 1 pound increments and created way more overhead than selling the grain supported.
Really? I guess that's why O'Shea does it too. F'ing government ruining it for everyone.
Brad
Oskaar

Post by Oskaar »

lexuschris wrote:
backyard brewer wrote:Others I know of in past were Fun Fermentations in Orange; was there for quite a while, now gone.
Yeah, those were the guys that got me started back in the early 90's. I used their original begginer brew equipment kit (& instructions) for many many years. Good times. 8)
--lexuschris
Plus they had evening "meetings" where homebrew was discussed (read drank) all evening long! It was a neat place.

There was also one up in La Habra that was going out of business about the same time as Fun Fermentations was opening. They carried wine yeast. At that time there weren't a lot of fancy names for the wine yeast it was mostly Burgundy, Champagne, Cotes du Rhone, and such plus it saved me a drive to San Pedro to buy yeast there.
Don't go into the Pimped-Out-Refrigerator Jack!
oc eric

Post by oc eric »

22 paid members and only 14 votes. C'mon guys there is still time to vote. Thanks :D
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

oc eric wrote:22 paid members and only 14 votes. C'mon guys there is still time to vote. Thanks :D
Ha! We're lucky to get that many votes for board members!
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Since I'm not in Orange county I've disqualified myself from voting.

Dan
SCBeerDude

Post by SCBeerDude »

oc eric wrote:22 paid members and only 14 votes. C'mon guys there is still time to vote. Thanks :D
I'm way down in South OC and, after the hellish drive that I faced on Friday afternoon to pick up 40% discounted supplies from the Bruery, won't be heading back up that way again for a while. Thus, no vote for me. :lol:
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

SCBeerDude wrote:
I'm way down in South OC and, after the hellish drive that I faced on Friday afternoon to pick up 40% discounted supplies from the Bruery, won't be heading back up that way again for a while. Thus, no vote for me. :lol:
You decided to drive from SouthOC to Placentia on a Friday afternoon?

Hope you spent a couple hundred dollars (at 40% off) to make it worth it!
Brad
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

OC Bruery travel tip on Friday afternoon:

Exit the 57 at Katella (or whenever you hit the red-lights), head west to State College and turn north. Take it all the way up to Orangethorpe and turn east toward the Bruery. At least it feels faster... ;)

That 57 North afternoon traffic sucks.. :x
--lexuschris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
ryanizell

Post by ryanizell »

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm new to the forum and to home brewing. I have about 4 batches under my belt. I had been getting my supplies from the Bruery Provisions, and now, as you are aware, they are no longer stocked with supplies. I hear there are a few decent online options and a shop in Riverside, but is there anything closer to in the OC area, or even over in LB or up in Pasadena?
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Welcome to Brew Commune!! :)

For local homebrew supplies, try:
Stein Fillers in Long Beach
O'Shea's Brewing in Laguna Nigel
More Beer in Riverside

For mail-order, there are a bunch ... I've been using these:
William's Brewing
Northern Brewer

:happybeer:
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I also like Austin Homebrew for online ordering and More Beer's online ordering is great too.
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Also http://www.hopsdirect.com/ is a good place for buying small qty bulk (is that an oxymoron?) hops.
Jon Image
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

We're putting together a pretty good list here so I went ahead and added this as an article to our Tips & Tricks page so we can always keep a reference to it:

http://www.brewcommune.com/tips-a-trick ... ients.html
ryanizell

Post by ryanizell »

Wow. I didn't expect such a great response. Thanks so much for the welcome and for the information to the local home brew supply shops. You guys are great. Cheers!
Marotte Brewery

Post by Marotte Brewery »

ryanizell wrote:Wow. I didn't expect such a great response. Thanks so much for the welcome and for the information to the local home brew supply shops. You guys are great. Cheers!
That's the greatest part of this Commune-ity. Responses are quick and very informative. Welcome to the board!