AFC 2009

Old posts and such end up here. This forum is still visible.

Moderator: Post Moderators

dhempy

Re: AFC 2009

Post by dhempy »

Nope ...
jward

Post by jward »

They posted a results PDF here. Brad got a second in Dark Lager. They didn't list a first place or his club affiliation. I took 3rd in fruit beers. I didn't see any other BC names.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I didn't put my club affiliation down. Those guys have made me paranoid after the last couple years.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Congrats Brad and John.
jward

Post by jward »

BrewMasterBrad wrote:I didn't put my club affiliation down. Those guys have made me paranoid after the last couple years.
For what it's worth, QUAFF didn't seem to do as well this year.
jward

Post by jward »

By and large my score sheets and feed back were OK. One wierdness was the 14 I got for my wheat beer?

The BJCP National judge said:
Aroma: Sorry dude, it's hard to tell but maybe old cheesy hops or a nasty case of DMS (vegital).
Appearance: Nice clarity - nice fine white foam - med gold color
Flavor: difficult to taste after smeling
Mouthfeel: fine for style
Overall Impression: could be yeast, fermentation or raw materials issues. Wish I could help - email me if you want to go over your process
score: 13

The Apprentice judge said:
Aroma: Slight grainy aroma hidden behind a vegetal (asparagus) aroma - low/no hop aroma
Appearance: golden color w/good clarity. Long lasting white head with good retention.
Flavor: Light and grainy wheat character w/ a vegital background flavor - low hop flavor, low fruity esters OK for style
Mouthfeel: smooth and creamy w/ medium body + moderate carbonation.
Overall Impression: The vegital (asparagus) flavor and aroma overwhelms this beer be sure to use healthy yeast and fresh ingredients, and check sanitation.
score: 15

I just poured a room temp one I have left. It's not vegital even to Mary. On first taste it has a lot of wheat tang even for me, but less on further tasting. This beer was the base for the raspberry wheat that won bronze. That is, I made a 10 gallon batch and split off 5 gallons into a carboy after the krausen fell. The raspberry had 3 lbs of the Oregon canned puree added.

Any ideas? Many of you have tasted this beer. In all honesty, it is mediocre and past its price, but a 14.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I've had your wheat beer a few times, but I don't know about this batch. I've never noticed it being vegetal, but I do remember one time it was a bit astringent.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Interesting ... my Kolsch also got feedback of vegetal aroma ... I certainly don't smell it.

Dan
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

My score sheets were pretty complete and I agree with most of the comments. One interesting score was for my Belgian Pale Ale. It got a 36.6 (three judges) but did not place. It only got a 22 at the Batch 50 comp.
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

Nice work Brad.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

brahn wrote:Nice work Brad.
Hey, weren't you one of the judges that gave that beer such a bad score? :twisted:
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

It must have gotten better. :)
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Here are all my scores:

American Stout - 32.5. General comment was that it did not have enough hop presence for the style.

Oaked American Amber - Category 22c - 29. Lacked complexity, needed more oak character, which is suprising since I was afraid it had too much oak. One judge raved about the nice citrusy hop character, which is funny since the only hop used was Willamette.

Schwarzbier - 33.5. Both judges thought it was a little estery, but not too bad. I used WLP838 and fermented at 52F. My next round of lagers, I am going to use WLP 830, so I will see if that fixes the problem.

Belgian Pale Ale - 36.6. The judges really liked this one, but it didn't place. A little more head retention was the main comment. A 42.5 won this category, so here must have been some great beers.
jward

Post by jward »

Here are my other scores:

Fruit Beer 20A - Raspberry Wheat - 33.3 Suggestions included the beer was a little bitter or under malted.

Robust Porter 12B - 34.5 would have liked a little more character and complexity. (This was really an old stout)

Irish Red Ale 9D - 38.5 One Overall Impression "Nice beer! More carbonation would have made it more enjoyable. Did not have characteristic dryness - a bit sweet some estery fruitiness is present. Should be clean." Should an Irish Red Ale be dry and lack estery fruitiness?
jward

Post by jward »

brahn wrote:I've had your wheat beer a few times, but I don't know about this batch. I've never noticed it being vegetal, but I do remember one time it was a bit astringent.
I'm not sure if the astrigency is from over sparging or minerals in my water. I have done some batch sparging to try to prevent over sparging. I'll have to see how that goes over time.