2008 Pacific Brewers Cup

Old posts and such end up here. This forum is still visible.

Moderator: Post Moderators

BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

2008 Pacific Brewers Cup

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

Judging for the 2008 Pacific Brewers Cup will be held on Saturday,
September 20th, in the morning. I'd like to invite everyone to take
part, either as a Judge or as a Steward. The PBC website will be up
shortly and you'll be able to register online then, but for now please
reserve the date.

Greg Beron, Judge Coordinator
Here is the link for judging signups.

Here is the link for the comp.

Entries are due by Sept. 12. Online registration starts Sept.1.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
Rezzin

Re: 2008 Pacific Brewers Cup

Post by Rezzin »

BrewMasterBrad wrote:
Judging for the 2008 Pacific Brewers Cup will be held on Saturday,
September 20th, in the morning. I'd like to invite everyone to take
part, either as a Judge or as a Steward. The PBC website will be up
shortly and you'll be able to register online then, but for now please
reserve the date.

Greg Beron, Judge Coordinator
Here is the link for judging signups.

Here is the link for the comp.

Entries are due by Sept. 12. Online registration starts Sept.1.
I don't really have anything I consider ready but I do have an IPA I might submit being that this is our last local comp of the year.
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I'll be in school on the 20th for the judging, but maybe I'll enter something. I've been thinking about bottling some of this year's RIS that I've been drinking lately, and the Altbier I've got conditioning over at Derrin's tasted awesome going into the keg.
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

I might have one to enter. I just (finally) kegged a Robust Porter that I brewed on New Years weekend. Not quite carbonated, but that hasn't stopped me from pouring a second pint this evening. Very nice. I used the very last Eroica hops on the face of the earth throughout the boil.

Maybe I'll enter it as a historical beer as it can not be recreated...?

I digress, if you judge or steward this comp do note that it is a first class affair. Short of judging in an Episcopal Church for Quaff's AFC a few years back you just can't beat it!

Cheers!
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

I need to check how many bottles of IPA we have left... We do have a light belgian, as well as two fruit beers based on the light belgian. One is my blackberry beer, the other is Dustin's blueberry beer.

But therein lies a problem. Technically Dustin is a co-brewer on my blackberry beer, and I would technically be a co-brewer on his blueberry beer. According to the rules, we cannot both submit to this, being that they're in the same subcategory. So I'm not sure if we have any way to submit both...
Brad
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

I'll see if the nutbrown and the kolsch I have can be entered ... I got some pretty good reviews of those over the weekend ... and the raspberry stout was "hammered" so there must be something there.

I need a beer gun!

Dan
spkrtoy

Post by spkrtoy »

Hmm,
I encourage you all to enter, and be sure to stop by with a sample to be sure which category to enter in.
Kudo's to Brent, who won BOS with his RIS. Brent, if you do not enter it, you'll be ostrasized.. Kidding, but that was, and still is a BOS beer!

I will enter my 3 year old 16E strong and my 2 yr old 18d, both Belgian strongs, and they are really nice after the long cold storage.

I've put the date on my calender, and hope to judge!

Good luck to all who enter, and Brent, ENTER!!!!!!!!!!!
Be Well,
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

dhempy wrote:I need a beer gun!
If you'd stop spending all the money on concrete, you could afford a beer gun. :lol:

I will probably enter a Maibock, Munich Dunkel, and a Cal Common (if it's ready). I have a little Cream Ale and APA left, so I might enter those if there is enough left when I make time to bottle.

I will probably judge too.

Anyone want to volunteer to be a mule for delivery of entries?
spkrtoy

Post by spkrtoy »

If I remember, If your're a judge, you can bring them the day of judging, but you have let them know you're entering (and paid) and also a judge abd you need to be early so they can update the database and label the beers for the flights.
If not, there's a couple of places to drop off at.
But I just realized if I'm going to enter, I'll need a beer gun to bottle my beer's.
Hope to talk to you all.
I hope to judge this comp, as I've done for the last 5 years. I'd recommend it as the club's that host it do a bang up job so sign up to judge.
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

I just signed up to judge. Lyn, if you're going to judge, I can swing by an pick you up.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Yikes:

My competition beers have vanished ... we entertained yesterday and the Kolsch, and Nut Brown were vanquished (along with the Belgian Pale). So I'm left with a robust porter and my Raspberry Stout to enter. The honey brown is a good drinker but I don't feel it is comp worthy (the raspberry is better in Specialty IMHO anyway). Same for the Imperial Amber. My Belgian Dark Strong might be viable as well if I can get it carb'd by then. And I have an Oaked Oatmeal stout in the fermenter that I could potentially squeak in but I don't think it will have enough "oak time" (is 2 weeks enough?).

All of last year's strawberry mel is bottled ... and I'm not sure that either the blueberry or this year's strawberry is ready (Pete: lets have a pow-wow!!)

Dan
Oskaar

Post by Oskaar »

Dan, I'd wait on the Strawberry, the blueberry is still a little young. I'm going to enter one of my traditionals to see how this group handles traditional meads.

I'll sign up to judge as well.

Cheers,

Pete
Don't go into the Pimped-Out-Refrigerator Jack!
huntfisher

Post by huntfisher »

does the club have vote on whether a club member can send a beer, or can anyone send a beer. Thinking of sending one just for ***** and giggles.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

You're welcome to send anything you like for this one. Some comps are "club" comps. These typically are one or two styles and the club may vote on who's beer is the best one to send.

Enter .. good luck!

Dan
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Well I dropped off a Raspberry Stout (23a) , a Robust Porter (12b) , and a young Belgian Dark Strong (18e) today ... bottled with my new beergun. I LOVE THIS DEVICE. Thanks Brian!

I know Brad is entering a couple .. anyone else?

Dan