Brewing at TBC (not a Brewcommune event)

Old posts and such end up here. This forum is still visible.

Moderator: Post Moderators

maltbarley

Brewing at TBC (not a Brewcommune event)

Post by maltbarley »

Taken from another board:

From Jonathan Porter at Tustin Brewing Company:

JOIN US!

TUSTIN BREWING COMPANY’S 1st Annual

BIG BREW - May 30th, 2009!

On Saturday, May 30 ( the weekend after Memorial Day) the Tustin Brewing Company and Brewmaster Porter will be hosting our first professional style Big Brew.

Porter has collaborated on the base wort and it is designed to be very flexible with many beer styles and yeast strains. The grist will be similar to a Belgian Pale Ale. Each person will pitch his yeast of choice, add adjuncts to the wort, dry hop in secondary, or do nothing special to it.

If you have never brewed an all grain beer, or seen a professional brewery in action, come along and join the fun, drink some beer, and buy wort to play with.

COST
We will be producing about fifty 5 gallon batches. The cost will be $20 for each 5 gallons of wort, excluding the cost of yeast (bring it to the brewery, or pitch it at home), and any additional ingredients you wish to add. Some people may want to purchase more than 5 gallons, and that’s fine. You must remember to bring a sanitized fermenter for each 5 gallons you buy.

FERMENTERS
Fermenters MUST be either plastic or stainless steel. Absolutely no glass fermenters will be allowed in the brewery due to the danger of breakage on the tile floor. You may bring small glass vessels with yeast or other additions, however.

If you don’t have a fermenter or don’t know what it is, check out your local homebrew shop.

TIME
The event will be starting EARLY, at 6AM. If that is too early, you may show up by 12 noon and still purchase wort. What a deal! Of course, you’ll not get to take part in the actual brewing, but Porter doesn’t want to have any wort left over. Projected ending time will be between 1-2 PM.

FOOD
Tustin Brewing will have coffee, pastries, etc. for breakfast, and the kitchen opens at 11am for lunch. In addition Porter will be supplying tasting samples of some of his fine brews during the morning.

Here’s the link to Tustin Brewing: http://www.tustinbr ewery.com/ index.html

Check it out and join the crowd.
Last edited by maltbarley on Fri May 15, 2009 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brew captain

Re: Bewing at TBC (not a Brewcommune event)

Post by brew captain »

Hey Mr. Your/You're - what the hell is "Bewing"????

Ha!

Cheers!
maltbarley

Re: Brewing at TBC (not a Brewcommune event)

Post by maltbarley »

Bewing is a word derived from typing on a new mini-laptop. Check out the Pavilion dv2. :)
JonGoku

Re: Bewing at TBC (not a Brewcommune event)

Post by JonGoku »

brew captain wrote:Hey Mr. Your/You're - what the hell is "Bewing"????

Ha!

Cheers!
:cheers:

The Cap'n got my back!
Jon Image
carbon

Post by carbon »

I went to this brew day. On the way home from it, I had to slam on my brakes to avoid hitting the car in front of me when the car in front of them made a bonehead move. As a result, I now have 5 gallons of Belgian pale ale fermenting nicely at home, and about a gallon of it fermenting in my passenger seat, floorboard, dashboard, console, windshield, and stereo. The stereo no longer works.
-------
rich
brew captain

Post by brew captain »

That really blows dude, but it could have been much worse!! You could have ended up with one gallon fermenting and five in your upholstry!

I once had a five gallon bucket full of freshly milled grains ready for the next days brew session that went flying when I had to slam on the brakes on the freeway (no lid stupid!). No damage to the car, but I definitely had a lot of carpet fuzz in my mash tun!!!

Sorry for your experience, but glad it was not worse!!

Cheers!
carbon

Post by carbon »

I agree. I feel pretty lucky that the whole thing did not spill out. Have you seen those anti-DUI ad's where the car's are full of booze? That's what my dashboard looked like the whole way home. Wort sloshing around with each turn. This was followed up by a crappy brew day at home on sunday, but I won't get into that right now. I have 2 batches of unfortunate brew fermenting now.
-------
rich
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

Another thought on the positive side is, you could have been driving SWMBO's car.

Sorry to hear of the spill though. That's a huge double wammy, lost beer, and messed up car.

On a side note I should have the carboy carrier this Friday if our Arrowhead guy doesn't forget. Maybe just in time to secondary one of those unfortunate brews. Which reminds me, isn't it great they didn't allow any glass carboys?
Jon Image
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

JonGoku wrote:Which reminds me, isn't it great they didn't allow any glass carboys?
Eeek, yea ... what a mess that could have been.

I'm glad the only problem I had with my last batch was dead yeast.
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Rich, if it's a standard single DIN stereo, I have an extra that you are welcome to. (single CD Sony).
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

brahn wrote: I'm glad the only problem I had with my last batch was dead yeast.
Let me guess, the yeast weren't wearing seat belts? 8)
Jon Image
Marotte Brewery

Post by Marotte Brewery »

Did you not have a lid? Before I went to the Bruery brew day, I went to Home Depot and bought a $0.99 orange lid that fit perfectly on my bucket. You might want to pick one up!
carbon

Post by carbon »

It had a lid on, but when the bucket full of 6 gallons of wort slammed into the dashboard, the lid popped open and a bunch splashed out. Luckily, it stayed upright and most of it was salvaged.
-------
rich
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

So have you thought of a name for the brew yet?

There's a couple different routes you could go.

1) Alliterative
- Belgian Fail Pail Pale Ale or Pail Fail Pale Ale
- Dashboard Belgian Pale Ale

2) Bad Assitive
- Radio Slayer
- Belgian Slop
- Bonehead Belgian

3) Pessimistic
- Missing Gallon Pale Ale
- My Car's Got Fruit Flies Pale Ale

Did I miss any?
Jon Image
carbon

Post by carbon »

Those are all pretty good. I think I like Radio Slayer and Pail Fail Pale Ale best.

I just realized that I hadn't opened up my glove box since this incident. I just did that to discover everything inside was sticky and wet and that there was a half inch of 4 day old wort in it. Nasty. :(
-------
rich