Mead Making 101 @ Honey Pot Meadery

What's happening in the beer world and where.

Moderator: Post Moderators

WillL

Mead Making 101 @ Honey Pot Meadery

Post by WillL »

Honey Pot Meadery is hosting a mead making class on March 24th. Tickets are $50, but they give you all the equipment and must for a 1 gallon batch.

Here is a link for the tickets:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mead-makin ... 5?aff=eac2

I checked out the meadery a little before their grand opening and they make some pretty fantastic mead.
jward

Re: Mead Making 101 @ Honey Pot Meadery

Post by jward »

Will, how was it?

I have been selling a club mead day where Pete Bakulic will give us the latest. We also may be able to do a group buy from Walker Honey at wholesale prices.
WillL

Re: Mead Making 101 @ Honey Pot Meadery

Post by WillL »

jward wrote:Will, how was it?

I have been selling a club mead day where Pete Bakulic will give us the latest. We also may be able to do a group buy from Walker Honey at wholesale prices.
It was pretty good! It was the first class they organized and the owner Alex let us know it would be a little rough around the edges, but for a first class I think it was a success.

We got to try 6 different types of honey. Clover, Eastern Buckwheat, Western Buckwheat, Meadowfoam, Orange Blossom, and Avocado. It was cool to be able to taste them all next to each other and compare. BTW, if you haven't tried meadowfoam honey, it's pretty delicious! Alex had two meads available for us to try that showcased both the meadowfoam and orange blossom mead. Very interesting to be able to taste the honey and the mead next to each other.

Other than that, we went through all of the equipment provided, basic fermentation process, random honey/mead questions, and general brewing instructions. There were some things that I wish he went into more detail, but about half the class had never fermented anything before, so I understand that he had to keep it general. He also offered us to come back in a couple months with each person bringing a sample to be able to share and compare everyone's mead.

Overall, I had a great time and learned some things. I think for all the equipment/ingredients you get, good information, and mead samples, it's definitely worth $50.
:cheers: