Yeast Starter with Pilsner DME

Mashing, fly sparging, batch sparging, dry hopping, late additions. Have an idea you want to bounce or stop by and share your experiences here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Herr brew miester

Yeast Starter with Pilsner DME

Post by Herr brew miester »

Hi everyone,

I am brewing a lager tomorrow and I finally brook down and purchased two 5000 ML Erlenmeyer’s so I can produce the correct size starters. I added a photo just because they look cool and big.

I purchased pilsner DME and since we normally boil our wort for 90 mins to get rid the unwanted DMS; do you think I need to boil the starer for 90 mins?

It’s an 11.5 gallon batch and the starters are about 11% of the total volume.
Attachments
Yeast Starter.jpg
Yeast Starter.jpg (101.18 KiB) Viewed 4043 times
BrewMasterBrad
Pro Brewer

Re: Yeast Starter with Pilsner DME

Post by BrewMasterBrad »

You do not need to boil the starters for 90 minutes. DME has already been boiled, so the risk of introducing DMS into your beer. You only need to boil for 10 minutes or so to make sure everything is sanitary. Make sure you give your starter wort plenty of time to cool down before you add your yeast.

You should decant most of the liquid off your starter before you pitch the yeast into your wort on brew day.

If you are brewing tomorrow and you are just starting your yeast starters, you may not be allowing enough time for the yeast to grow. I normally allow at least 36 hours for the yeast to grow and finish in the starter. Of course, your mileage may vary and it depends on whether or not you are using a stir plate, on the initial health of the yeast, and the temperature of your starter.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada down at Trader Vic's
Herr brew miester

Post by Herr brew miester »

Thanks Brad but I ended up just letting it go for the 90 mins, too much love going into this one so I had to be sure. Should have checked back sooner!
Using stir plat and wish I had of started it yesterday. I will reply back and let everyone know how it went.
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

+1 for what Brad (the yeast whisperer!) posted.
rhart00

Post by rhart00 »

BrewMasterBrad wrote: You should decant most of the liquid off your starter before you pitch the yeast into your wort on brew day.
All good info thanks. How do you actually go about "decanting" the liquid out of your starter before pitching?
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

rhart00 wrote:
BrewMasterBrad wrote: You should decant most of the liquid off your starter before you pitch the yeast into your wort on brew day.
All good info thanks. How do you actually go about "decanting" the liquid out of your starter before pitching?
Slowly pour the liquid off leaving yeast
It helps to first let starters sit overnight in fridge allowing yeast to settle
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
rhart00

Post by rhart00 »

DrDually wrote:
rhart00 wrote:
Slowly pour the liquid off leaving yeast
It helps to first let starters sit overnight in fridge allowing yeast to settle
Good to know. Thanks for the insight!