False Bottom Recommendation?

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

Luckbad

False Bottom Recommendation?

Post by Luckbad »

I managed to stretch my stainless braid in my mash tun yesterday so I'm looking at false bottoms.

I have a 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler and my bulkhead has a 1/2" NPT female fitting on the inside.

Any recommendations? Should I just get another screen? Never had the problem, but it did end up introducing some bits of grain into my kettle.
lexuschris

Re: False Bottom Recommendation?

Post by lexuschris »

I used this false bottom with my orange 10-gal. Rubbermaid cooler for a couple of years.

The only issue I had was after some side wall deformation of the cooler, I could no longer keep the particles from getting under the bottom, and it would clog every time. I suspect buying a new cooler would fix it, but I just used a rolled out copper scrub pad to filter out the detritus.

I have been admiring the design of Blichmann's false-bottom, but they are all matched to their pots.

Currently, I'm using Brewer's Hardware MT & false bottom, and have not had any issues with them!

-=-LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
SamIam

Post by SamIam »

I have a copper manifold for those 10 gallon coolers that you can have but if you want a false bottom then I'd go with one from Brewer's Hardware.
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day!"
~Frank Sinatra
Luckbad

Post by Luckbad »

Oh sweet. What type of manifold design is it? I've been looking at instructions on how to make one but keep deciding not to bother due to time.
SamIam

Post by SamIam »

It's just 1/2 " copper with slits cut into the bottom every 1". It's square with a couple of pieces running through the middle and it's all loosely fitted, not soldered. You put it together inside the cooler and when you push it down it's held together by the inside diameter of the cooler. I'll dig it out of the rafters and take a pic for you if you’re interested or just come by for a beer sometime and take it home with you.
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day!"
~Frank Sinatra
SamIam

Post by SamIam »

Here is a pic of the manifold, let me know if you want it.
IMAG0002.jpg
IMAG0002.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 1682 times
~Frank Sinatra
Luckbad

Post by Luckbad »

Oh nice. Yeah, that is what I was looking for. Hopefully I can come by next weekend and share a brew. Have family out this weekend.