CO2 Quick Disconnect setup - Kent vs the rest

Oh yes! Everything you ever wanted to know about equipment or ask about equipment, this is the place to be! Share photos or ideas about equipment here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

ocluke

CO2 Quick Disconnect setup - Kent vs the rest

Post by ocluke »

I know that some of you on here bought the Kent quick disconnect system from Morebeer a while back. I wanted to see if those of you that bought it were happy with the system. Any leaks at all? I'm looking to do something like what's been posted here:

Kent system: http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2012/05/ha ... -kent.html
Leur Lock system: http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2012/10/lu ... ility.html

I really like the idea of having 1 female disconnect on my tank, and having a bunch of interchangeable 6"-12" hoses with male quick disconnects on one end, and the connections I use on the other end (1/4FFL, corny QD, etc.).
Luke

MetaBrewing - A homebrewing blog documenting experiments with equipment, processes, recipes, hops, wild yeast, and whatever else happens to sneak its way in.
JonW
Site Admin

Re: CO2 Quick Disconnect setup - Kent vs the rest

Post by JonW »

Luke, I'm using the Kent ones for 1 & 2 liter bottles (mostly for kegging overruns) and they work pretty well. I've not tried them long-term on anything though. I mostly just force carb a bottle and chill it, then drink. I see the Leur disconnects come in a 25 pack. If you don't need that many, I'd be up for splitting some with you to try them out.
DrDually

Post by DrDually »

If you want ability to change kegs, cylinders etc, look for the beer line and gas disconnects.
http://morebeer.com/products/beer-gas-t ... f-set.html
They are valved so no leakage occurs when line is disconnected. They are also food grade material
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

A timely post ... I've been looking into doing the same thing for my extra CO2 tank. I like the list of attachments in the Leur Lock post. I will also need to add an attachment for the 1/2" smooth tube on my Sanke Fermentation kit for pushing my beer out.

Have not tried it yet, but everyone is saying the connections will seal CO2 lines just fine, connected or disconnected.
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

I just realized that the Kent ones were more than just the soda bottle tops. At the time I got mine, that's all they were selling. I may need to look into getting some of the other Kent pieces and try those out.
maltbarley

Post by maltbarley »

Does anyone want to do a show and tell on these at the next meeting? Maybe if you have any particular type, bring it with you.
ocluke

Post by ocluke »

I'd like to see that as well. Especially if we could compare between options.
Luke

MetaBrewing - A homebrewing blog documenting experiments with equipment, processes, recipes, hops, wild yeast, and whatever else happens to sneak its way in.
ocluke

Post by ocluke »

I'm following up to my own thread here. I think I'm convinced to give the Luer Lock system a try to reduce the amount of hassle and fumbling around during transfers, purging, etc. Here's a post on how they can be used:
http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2012/10/lu ... ility.html

This system is super cheap, and it seems to be a standard in the medical industry. They are heat resistant to 455F, which makes them autoclavable. To reduce the amount of time spent cleaning and sanitizing (which is sort of the goal in all of this), I'm ordering the plugs and caps as well. This will allow each fitting and hose to be sealed from the environment when not in use.

It comes out to $0.44/piece, or roughly $1.75 per 4-pack set (1 male connection, 1 female connection, 1 male plug, 1 female plug). I clearly will not need 25 sets of these, so if any of you want to claim some of these for $1.75/set, let me know. Just reply with how many sets you want. First come, first served. I'll probably keep 10 sets for myself.
prntscr
Luke

dhempy

Post by dhempy »

I'm good for 4 or 5 sets.

Dan
ocluke

Post by ocluke »

dhempy wrote:I'm good for 4 or 5 sets.

Dan
I'll set them aside for you, Dan. Maybe get them at the next meeting, if I can make it? Otherwise, I'm sure they'll be cheap to mail in an envelope.
Luke

DrDually

Post by DrDually »

ocluke wrote:
dhempy wrote:I'm good for 4 or 5 sets.

Dan
I'll set them aside for you, Dan. Maybe get them at the next meeting, if I can make it? Otherwise, I'm sure they'll be cheap to mail in an envelope.
Luke
I am meeting Dan this weekend if you care to meet up somewhere. PM me for contact info

Chris
Chris aka Dr Dually
drdually@att.net

Life is tough. It is even tougher when you are stupid. John Wayne

Bottled and enjoying: Nada, zip
Kegged: English Brown, American Amber, Double Barrel Ale
Next up: Kolsch
dhempy

Post by dhempy »

Thanks Chris!
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

Luke,

I'm interested in some of these too. I've been looking at a couple of different brands based upon this thread and others. My big question was which barb size is best. I see you selected the 1/4" barb. Do you have any additional thoughts on hose size?

I'm just looking to put a female on the 2 tails from my regulator, and then make a few connectors: Ball-lock Gas for carbing, open tubing for pushing thru my sanke fermenter & my long hose for the beer gun.

Thanks,
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
ocluke

Post by ocluke »

lexuschris wrote:Luke,

I'm interested in some of these too. I've been looking at a couple of different brands based upon this thread and others. My big question was which barb size is best. I see you selected the 1/4" barb. Do you have any additional thoughts on hose size?

I'm just looking to put a female on the 2 tails from my regulator, and then make a few connectors: Ball-lock Gas for carbing, open tubing for pushing thru my sanke fermenter & my long hose for the beer gun.

Thanks,
--LexusChris
Because these are often used in medical applications, 1/4" is the largest that they make, at least from this brand. So, I'm going with that and switching out my tubing for 3/16"ID tubing. 3/16"-1/4" tubing will work well.
Let me know if you want any, and if so, how many. They were ordered today on Amazon Prime with 2 day shipping.
Luke

lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

ocluke wrote:Because these are often used in medical applications, 1/4" is the largest that they make, at least from this brand. So, I'm going with that and switching out my tubing for 3/16"ID tubing. 3/16"-1/4" tubing will work well.
Let me know if you want any, and if so, how many. They were ordered today on Amazon Prime with 2 day shipping.
Sounds great! I'll take 5 sets if you have them.
--LexusChris