Valhalla Table

Just tasted something great or not so great? Have a favorite restaurant, cigar or pub you'd like to talk about? Review it here.

Moderator: Post Moderators

bwarbiany

Valhalla Table

Post by bwarbiany »

http://www.valhallatable.com/index.html

Went for lunch at this place today with the wife and kids.

I ate the duck, bacon, jalapeno sausage with the indonesian salsa. Wife had the cajun andouille, also with the indonesian salsa. We got the fries and the bitterballen, and got my son a soft pretzel (which we ate most of), along with a chocolate pudding dessert. Didn't order beer for this lunch.

Sausage was very tasty, as were the fries and bitterballen (although the wife didn't care much for the bitterballen). I thought the pretzel was so-so, but then it's just a baked soft pretzel and obviously not the linchpin of the menu.

Beer menu looks decent. 8 taps, included Stone Pale Ale, Green Flash IPA, Allagash White, Fat Tire, etc. Bottle menu was definitely heavier on the Belgians, including a half dozen Chimay offerings and a few other interesting beers. Nothing world-changing (i.e. you won't find Pliny), but certainly a good craft selection.

Wife and I both thought the food was great, and I could see myself sitting down for a beer in other circumstances.

Atmosphere was interesting... The place is VERY modern, and it's the type of place where you order/pay right up front at the counter and they bring the food. No wait staff, which just happens to be one of my pet peeves. They have a counter where you can be served by a bartender, and a few tables. It's pretty small overall. When we went (about noon on a Sunday), it was pretty dead, with a group of 4 guys eating and one really out-of-element lone woman. It'd be interesting to see in the evening, to figure out whether it's absolutely packed.

Anyone else visit?
Brad
backyard brewer

Re: Valhalla Table

Post by backyard brewer »

Not yet but I read a review in OC Weekly that said it was pretty good. Similar to yours, excellent "dogs" with an Indonesian influence. The reviewer noted he thought the location was a bit odd considering "The Camp" in Costa Mesa is a bit of a Vegan/Vegetarian realm.
oc eric

Post by oc eric »

I am soooooooooo going! Hell, I'd go for the name of the restaurant alone. Add the kick ass looking sausages and I'm in!!!

[The fact that I'm hungry, about to make dinner (Ma Po Tofu), and 1 amber ale and 1 kolsch (homemade) into a nice buzz, probably doesn't effect my decision to go there or my posting].

:cheers:
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway
Rezzin

Post by Rezzin »

oc eric wrote:[The fact that I'm hungry, about to make dinner (Ma Po Tofu), and 1 amber ale and 1 kolsch (homemade) into a nice buzz, probably doesn't effect my decision to go there or my posting].
THAT just made me hungry again...
Image New Brew Club, Free Photo hosting, Yeast Library, Forum
JonGoku

Post by JonGoku »

How late are they open? Damn, I'm hungry.
Jon Image
StarRaptor

Post by StarRaptor »

so far I've only been for lunch but man does that beer menu look awesome.

I had the wild boar sausage (pass) and the fries with smokey BBQ (awesome)

Next time I go will be after work for fries and beer
oc eric

Post by oc eric »

StarRaptor wrote:Next time I go will be after work for fries and beer
Call me when you do.
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk with his fools. - Hemingway
StarRaptor

Post by StarRaptor »

it will probably be on a Tuesday or Wednesday next week if it works for you?
Maynerd

Post by Maynerd »

I ate at Valhalla about a month ago with the family and some friends. They offer table service, but usually patrons order from the front (servers wanted to earn a few more bucks in tips). The food was not amazing by any standard, but well worth the price. The real treat is a healthy selection of beer that you wouldn't get at most places. It reminded me of a mini Haven Gastro Pub, for those of you familiar with the Old Town Orange pub hype. We sampled a lot of the sausages and most the beers. Our group came up with a 3.75 out of 5 star review (my interpretation). I would recommend this place to others, and remind them to keep in mind - you get what you pay for. This isn't fine dinning, but it offers a little more uniqueness and the effort shows. I would like to see how Valhalla grows, it appears to be a work in progress concept with a lot of potential.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Brad
backyard brewer

Post by backyard brewer »

Wow, that's really too bad. Every time I've been to that little alcove though, I've been rather uncomfortable, kinda like being what I imagine an Occupy event to be. I was really sorry when Luburdis (Scuba) shut down as they were an icon, but such is life.