LA County Fair Homebrew Competition

Check for upcoming competitions here or just discuss results, entries and share your triumphs and tragedies!

Moderator: Post Moderators

bwarbiany

LA County Fair Homebrew Competition

Post by bwarbiany »

See here: http://www.maltosefalcons.com/comps/2013LACF

Entry Dates: Open today, remains open until midnight July 18.
Judging: Aug 3
Drop-off Dates: Must be dropped off by July 19 at below drop-off points, apparently can be dropped off at LA fairgrounds starting Jul 24 as well
Entry Fee: $7 per entry
Req't: 2 bottles

Drop-off Points:
Home Wine, Beer & Cheesemaking Shop, 22836 Ventura Blvd., Unit #2, Woodland Hills, CA 91364, (818) 884-8586.
Culver City Home Brewing Supply, 4358½ Sepulveda Blvd., Culver City, CA 90230, (310) 397-3453.
Eagle Rock Home Brewing Supply, 4981 Eagle Rock Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90041, (323) 258-2107
Stein Fillers, 4160 Norse Way, Long Beach, CA 90808, (562) 425-0588.

Notes: This comp is run by the Maltose Falcons, who have their own, non-BJCP style guidelines (available here). Much of the categories and styles match BJCP, but groupings are made differently to split off certain very popular styles (i.e. APA gets its own category, not linked to American Amber or American Brown ales), and to add a few different styles currently not recognized by BJCP (Black IPA, Extra Pale Ale, American-Style Red Ale, etc). You may or may not like their style guidelines, but be aware and read closely to make sure you're entering in the most appropriate category.
Brad
bwarbiany

Re: LA County Fair Homebrew Competition

Post by bwarbiany »

REMINDER -- Online entry closes Thursday night -- local drop-off must complete by Friday COB at the listed shops.

--------------------

I do have a question for those of you who have tried my Belgian Patersbier. It's a lighter beer, made with Pilsner (1.048 OG, 2.9 SRM, mashed at 147) and Saaz (31.8 IBU), and fermented nice and strong with WLP545, the Belgian Strong Ale Yeast (ferment started ~65 degrees, ramped up to 76).

In the Falcons' style guidelines, I'm not sure whether to enter 19.4 (Abbey Ale, other) or 21.5 (Belgian Specialty Ale, Other). Or both?

Guidelines below -- if anyone has thoughts either way, let me know. Essentially I'm leaning toward submitting in both, but if you guys see anything that is a hard disqualifier taste/ingredients-wise, let me know.

19.4 Abbey Ale, Other
Aroma: Nearly all feature the fruity-spicy character of Abbey-style Belgian ale yeasts. Most will exhibit
some malt aroma as well.
Appearance: Color and clarity vary considerably. Most exhibit a substantial, long-lasting head.
Flavor The balance of flavors will vary, but most versions feature a rich malt character, some character
from added candi sugar, and the fruity-spicy flavors of Belgian ale yeasts.
Mouthfeel: Body will vary from light to full. Generally moderate to high carbonation.
Overall Impression: Unique ales of individual breweries located at Belgian Abbeys or Trappist
monasteries, or associated with them by contract.
Comments: Belgian Abbey-style ales which do not conform to either the Dubble or Tripel styles should be
entered in this category.
History: Many Belgian Abbey-style ales are unique, and as a result original gravities, hopping levels and
methods, color and body will vary considerably.
Ingredients: Yeast strains prone to production of higher alcohols, esters, and clove-spice aroma and
flavor are most commonly used. A variety of malts may be used. Hopping will vary but is most often kept
at a low level with use of traditional Continental European varieties.
Vital Statistics: OG: 1.050 - 1.095, FG: 1.010 - 1.020, ABV: 5.2 - 11.2%, IBU: 20 - 45, SRM: 3.5 - 20.
Commercial Examples: Chimay Red, Cinq Cents and Grand Reserve. Orval. LaTrappe Enkel and
Quadrupel. Rochefort 10

21.5 Belgian-Style Specialty Ale, Other
Aroma: Most exhibit varying amounts of fruity esters, spicy phenols, and other yeast-borne aromatics;
some may include very slight aromas of Brettanomyces and other microflora. Hop aroma may be low to
moderate. Malt aroma may be low to high and may include essences of grains other than barley, such as
wheat or rye. No diacetyl.
Appearance: Color varies considerably, from pale gold to medium amber. Clarity may be poor to good.
Head retention is usually good.
Flavor A great variety of flavor is found in these beers. Maltiness may be light to quite rich, hop flavor and
bitterness generally increase along with the depth of malt quality, and spicy flavors may be imparted by
yeast and or actual spice additions.
Mouthfeel: The character of the malt may impart a silky impression. Most are well-attenuated, thus fairly
light-bodied, and well-carbonated. A warming sensation from alcohol may be present in stronger
examples.
Overall Impression: This category encompasses a wide variety of Belgian-style ales that typify the
imaginative products often necessary to attract customers in the world's most competitive beer market,
Belgium.
Comments: A category for the myriad of unusual and distinctive Belgian ales which don't fit into any of the
other style descriptions for Belgian-style beers contained in these guidelines. These beers run the gamut
of aromas, flavors, colors, mouthfeels and alcohol content and are often fermented with unusual and
distinctive yeasts and ingredients. Brewer should specify commercial equivalent for entry, if appropriate.
History: Unique beers of small independent Belgian breweries that have come to enjoy local popularity,
but may be far less well-known outside of their own regions.
Ingredients: May include candi sugar additions, unusual grains and malts, and spices or herbs.
Vital Statistics: OG: 1.040 - 1.070, FG: 1.008 - 1.016, ABV: 4.0 - 8.0%, IBU: 20 - 40, SRM: 3 - 8.
Brad
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I'd enter both. If you only want to enter one, I'd guess 19.4 based on your beer and the descriptions.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Apfelwein did okay...

http://www.maltosefalcons.com/comps/2013LACF

Interested to get score sheets on the IPA. Our didn't place, but that's not totally surprising considering how crowded the category is... hoping the comments/feedback/scores are decent...
Brad