Need help finding a competition

Check for upcoming competitions here or just discuss results, entries and share your triumphs and tragedies!

Moderator: Post Moderators

CurtisG

Need help finding a competition

Post by CurtisG »

Hey guys,

I wasn't planning on entering this cream ale I brewed, but I like it more and more every day. I liked it so much that I, reluctantly, only have 4 bottles of it. (Kegged it, but filled a couple bottles up in case I changed my mind about entering it).

I've been looking on the BJCP website, but it seems I've just missed every deadline for upcoming events until August. So I'm wondering if you guys know of any events that aren't listed on the BJCP website, or just have any recommendations for me.

Should I ship it to a Norcal comp? or should I just wait.

I figure if I've missed my chance, I'll just bring it to the next meeting and see what you guys think.

Thanks in advance.

-Curtis
SamIam

Re: Need help finding a competition

Post by SamIam »

Hey Curtis, there is the OC Fest of Ale's competition. I think it's in September but I don't think it's BJCP sanctioned.
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day!"
~Frank Sinatra
lexuschris

Post by lexuschris »

That was a fun event last year! They had some tasty food and lots of commercial beer being poured! Homebrewers in the contest had a small room (A/C too!) and shared some of their brew around the table.
--LexusChris
"A woman drove me to drink, and I hadn't even the courtesy to thank her." – W.C. Fields
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

Sept brings the Pacific Brewers Cup & OC Fest of Ales. If you think your beer is awesome, it might be worth waiting. If not, you have plenty of time for more batches between now and then :D

My advice: bring your beer and some BJCP score sheets to Brent's club brew day on June 29th. You're likely to get equal to better feedback than you'd get from a typical homebrew competition, as I'm guessing not only will Brent fill out a sheet for you, but there might be at least a few other BJCP club members there...
Brad
CurtisG

Post by CurtisG »

Thanks for the responses everybody. I appreciate it.

Since I bottled with a janky home made counter pressure filler (I was so proud of myself for this terrible filler) I don't want to risk having the beer sit around until September.
bwarbiany wrote:My advice: bring your beer and some BJCP score sheets to Brent's club brew day on June 29th. You're likely to get equal to better feedback than you'd get from a typical homebrew competition, as I'm guessing not only will Brent fill out a sheet for you, but there might be at least a few other BJCP club members there...
I think I'll do this if you don't think anyone will mind. Should I bother with the score sheets? or just ask people what they think?
brahn
Site Admin

Post by brahn »

I'd be happy to fill out a scoresheet if you like, and we can even print them at my house! If you'd rather just talk about it, that's fine too.

I guess I really better get on that automation project if I'm supposed to be filling out scoresheets while I'm brewing! :happybeer:
CurtisG

Post by CurtisG »

brahn wrote:I'd be happy to fill out a scoresheet if you like, and we can even print them at my house! If you'd rather just talk about it, that's fine too.

I guess I really better get on that automation project if I'm supposed to be filling out scoresheets while I'm brewing! :happybeer:
If you don't mind Brent, I'd definitely hit you up on that offer. I appreciate it. I can also print out the scoresheets here at work so that's not a problem.
bwarbiany

Post by bwarbiany »

CurtisG wrote:Since I bottled with a janky home made counter pressure filler (I was so proud of myself for this terrible filler) I don't want to risk having the beer sit around until September.
Recommend you keep the bottles in the fridge until then. If there is any hint of oxidation or anything else that might have come from the filling process, keeping the beer cold will help to slow any of the staling reactions caused by oxidation (or infection, although I have no reason to think that would be an issue here).
Brad